Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: OnyimBob on November 23, 2010, 12:59:25 am

Title: Moving image files from Macbook to PC compatible usb drive
Post by: OnyimBob on November 23, 2010, 12:59:25 am
I have a catalogue of images on my Macbook that I want to access with my desktop running the PC version of LR. Is this possible?
Bob.
Title: Re: Moving image files from Macbook to PC compatible usb drive
Post by: wolfnowl on November 23, 2010, 01:04:50 am
http://lightroomkillertips.com/2010/the-easiest-way-to-share-lightroom-catalogs-with-different-computers/

Mike.
Title: Re: Moving image files from Macbook to PC compatible usb drive
Post by: OnyimBob on November 23, 2010, 01:44:16 am
Sorry Mike I forgot to mention the nasty bit. The usb drives I have are either formatted for Mac OR PC and neither machine recognises the other format, so that suggestion won't work for me.
Bob.
BTW thanks for the swift reply!
Title: Re: Moving image files from Macbook to PC compatible usb drive
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on November 23, 2010, 03:36:58 am
Sorry Mike I forgot to mention the nasty bit. The usb drives I have are either formatted for Mac OR PC and neither machine recognises the other format, so that suggestion won't work for me.
Bob.
BTW thanks for the swift reply!
Are you quite sure that your Mac won't recognise PC-formatted drives? Over very many years, I've never had any difficulty in reading from (and writing to) such drives, whether USB, Firewire or SCSI.

PC's don't recognise Mac drives, of course.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Moving image files from Macbook to PC compatible usb drive
Post by: Jack Flesher on November 23, 2010, 09:58:26 am
Network them.  Across LAN, either system can read files on any shared disk regardless of platform or file structure.  Not only that, for all practical purposes GIGLAN is as fast or faster than FW800.
Title: Re: Moving image files from Macbook to PC compatible usb drive
Post by: OnyimBob on November 23, 2010, 06:45:14 pm
Thanks to Mike, Jeremy and Jack.
Problem is solved. Of the five USB drives I have, the Macbook would read AND write to only one of them. I have now successfully moved the catalogue to it. Also found to my delight that the PC version of LR3 on my Dell read the catalogue (created on the Mac) without a hitch!
Cheers,
Bob.
Title: Re: Moving image files from Macbook to PC compatible usb drive
Post by: tived on November 23, 2010, 10:20:36 pm
there are software out there, that will let the PC read the mac partitions of almost any disk/media

TransMac comes to mind!

give it a go!

Henrik
Title: Re: Moving image files from Macbook to PC compatible usb drive
Post by: OnyimBob on November 23, 2010, 11:46:35 pm
Thanks Henrik, I'll have a look.
Bob.