Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: iconoclast on November 14, 2010, 11:33:32 am

Title: Disposal of the old dye-sub printer
Post by: iconoclast on November 14, 2010, 11:33:32 am
Both my computer (PowerMac G5) and my printer (Olympus P-440) are roughly six years old. That means that I am in need of a replacement for both, even though they served me flawlessly for all those years and still are.

With the computer I don't have a problem. I will keep it as my 'internet machine', but what can I do with a printer that still is in perfect working condition, although getting supplies for it is increasingly difficult (paper and color ribbons)? Any suggestions?
Title: Re: Disposal of the old dye-sub printer
Post by: Robt on November 14, 2010, 10:46:11 pm
I, of course, don't know where you are.  Here in Seattle I would give it to a local High School Photo  OR Arts dept.  A write off for sure or even a grant if you can support it. 

As for disposal, here, call the solid waste dept for instructions;  they will get rid of it for you if you will deliver it for them to do so.  In Missouri where I grew up; throw it over the rail of the Missouri River Bridge.

You can't be the only one who has this unit;  if this serves you well, can you find the resources to acquire the supplies you need from the other users who have used this unit but no longer want to.  Or is that may be what you are trying to do.
Title: Re: Disposal of the old dye-sub printer
Post by: langier on November 14, 2010, 11:16:56 pm
In California it's called "Universal" waste and you've got to find an electronic recycler or wait for a local electronic recycling day.

If it's still good, there's also eBay and Craig's list as places to list your still-working printer.