Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: ChrisS on November 12, 2010, 01:47:00 pm

Title: 9180 papers?
Post by: ChrisS on November 12, 2010, 01:47:00 pm
Now that HP have ditched the 9180 and the papers that were recommended for it, can we have a round-up of the papers (with icc profiles) that work well with it? I'd settled on HP papers (Photo Matte and Pro Satin), but now have to find ones from other manufacturers to replace them.

Thanks for your thoughts

Chris
Title: Re: 9180 papers?
Post by: deanwork on November 12, 2010, 02:44:18 pm
Don't know what you mean here. The pro satin is one of the primary papers for the Z series and I can't imagine them ever abandoning it. It's too profititable. Apart from that all the Epson photo papers like the premium luster and inexpensive matt papers like Enhanced Matt work great on the HPZ series. Never used the 9180
Title: Re: 9180 papers?
Post by: Ronny Nilsen on November 12, 2010, 02:52:10 pm
I have a list of papers and profiles for the 9180 here:
http://www.ronnynilsen.com/Essays/Articles/HP_B9180/ (http://www.ronnynilsen.com/Essays/Articles/HP_B9180/)
that migth be of use.

Ronny
Title: Re: 9180 papers?
Post by: ChrisS on November 12, 2010, 03:32:53 pm
Apart from that all the Epson photo papers like the premium luster and inexpensive matt papers like Enhanced Matt work great on the HPZ series. Never used the 9180

The problem is getting pro Satin in a form that'll go successfully through the printer at A3+. Cutting off rolls can give real problems with curling as I understand it, unless anyone knows better? (I'd like to buy rolls and use them if I could.) Do you know where I can get icc profile for the Enhanced Matt on the 9180? And for the Epson Archival Matte Paper? Cheers.
Title: Re: 9180 papers?
Post by: ChrisS on November 12, 2010, 03:38:58 pm
I have a list of papers and profiles for the 9180 here:
http://www.ronnynilsen.com/Essays/Articles/HP_B9180/ (http://www.ronnynilsen.com/Essays/Articles/HP_B9180/)
that migth be of use.

Ronny

Thanks Ronny - really helpful. You don't know which would be nearest to the HP Pro Satin available in A3+ sheets, do you?
Title: Re: 9180 papers?
Post by: sm906 on November 12, 2010, 04:44:53 pm
Chris,

I had excellent results with (matte) Moab Entrada Rag Natural and (glossy) Harman Gloss Baryta, both with the manufacturers ICC profiles on my former B9180. The Tecco PM230 and PP210 are also very nice on that printer / these inks. They are not of the same high quality paper feeling as the Moab and Harman, however very much less money consuming. BTW, no bronzing with the Harman Gloss Baryta on this printer!

Should you need custom made ICC profiles for the Moab paper named above as well as for the Moab Kayenta (BTW, both papers are double sided) I can send you the link where to download both. Both ICCs were made with the color charts that came out of my former B9180.

Thomas
Title: Re: 9180 papers?
Post by: Ronny Nilsen on November 13, 2010, 06:19:06 am
Thanks Ronny - really helpful. You don't know which would be nearest to the HP Pro Satin available in A3+ sheets, do you?


I'm afraid I don't have a suggestion. I mostly use matte papers, and still have a supply of HP Pro Satin left, so I have not looked into it.

Ronny
Title: Re: 9180 papers?
Post by: AnthonyHope on November 13, 2010, 02:17:18 pm
Hi,
  Im in the same situation. I have a few sheets of Satin pro left, but not sure what to do next. I've tested most papers from Harman, Hahnemuhle, Innova, Permajet and Ilford and found the Harman Gloss Bayrta to be the best of these, but IMHO its nowhere near as good as HP's Satin Pro, which is a superb paper.

I haven't tried canson baryta photographique though, which gets very good reviews.

Cheers

Anthony



Title: Re: 9180 papers?
Post by: ChrisS on November 13, 2010, 03:57:26 pm
Hi,
  Im in the same situation. I have a few sheets of Satin pro left, but not sure what to do next. I've tested most papers from Harman, Hahnemuhle, Innova, Permajet and Ilford and found the Harman Gloss Bayrta to be the best of these, but IMHO its nowhere near as good as HP's Satin Pro, which is a superb paper.

I haven't tried canson baryta photographique though, which gets very good reviews.

Cheers

Anthony





There seem to be so many possibilities, but it's so expensive to try them. I'm now very close to buying a role of Pro Satin and cutting it to 13x19. Has anyone any tips on how to make this work with the 9180? Curling must be the issue, I guess. I thought to get the 44 inch roll, cut 3x 13 inch widths, reverse roll them and flatten for a few days between boards - should that work?
Title: Re: 9180 papers?
Post by: Damir on November 14, 2010, 06:02:52 am
I have Z3100, 9180 and 8850 and exchange inks and paper - reffiling cartirdges for smaller printers with the ink from Z3100 (much cheaper ink), also cut papers from rolls for smaller printers - Z3100 is a superb printer but it is nightmare to load sheets in it

HP Satin Pro is difficult to flatten but it is not impossible if you are not in hurry.

De-roll it than left it one week under some heavy pressure, like a pile of heavy books, it should work. After de-rolling it have tendency to curl again if you left it on his own.
Title: Re: 9180 papers?
Post by: ChrisS on November 19, 2010, 12:09:49 pm

HP Satin Pro is difficult to flatten but it is not impossible if you are not in hurry.

De-roll it than left it one week under some heavy pressure, like a pile of heavy books, it should work. After de-rolling it have tendency to curl again if you left it on his own.

OK - thanks Damir. I'm going to give it a go...