Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Andres Bonilla on November 10, 2010, 11:06:57 pm

Title: Three new works
Post by: Andres Bonilla on November 10, 2010, 11:06:57 pm
Once again I am trying the painterly approach to some of my photos. I know it is not everybody's cup of tea but I think some shots are good for this type of style. What do you think?

Andres
Title: Re: Three new works
Post by: David Saffir on November 11, 2010, 03:42:20 pm
Of the three I like the man and boy on the bike the most. It's the feeling of intimacy, and the story, that capture my attention.

As far as composition goes, you did shoot this more or less from eye level. This is fine, but doesn't set your image apart from the pack. Why not try a few different angles? If you had shot this from say knee high level, you'd eliminate much of the clutter in the background - which is a bit distracting, and you'd probably find that more attention is directed to the boy's face, and we would be able to see more of the man's face as well.

In regard to the painterly look, it's OK, but perhaps a bit too much. If you do this on a layer, you can experiment with the intensity by raising and lowering layer opacity - that could be a very interesting exercise. Post some of the variants here, say three for a single image, and let's see how they turn out!

David Saffir
GuruShots Photo Critique (http://www.gurushots.com)
Title: Re: Three new works
Post by: Andres Bonilla on November 12, 2010, 04:45:34 pm
Thank you David for taking the time to review and critic my work. Yes I should have try different angle with the grand father and girl. The only thing was that once he saw me he started to cover his face with his hat and rush away. I should have contineue shooting while crouching. The paint approach is an ongoing experiment, one that I don't want to look like a acumulation of Photoshop filters thrown together.
Thank you again!!

Andres
Title: Re: Three new works
Post by: Jack Varney on November 12, 2010, 07:54:02 pm
Your capture of color is great. I would suggest that, in the first two images, that the subject would be better served and be more dynamic if not centered (think rule of thirds).
Title: Re: Three new works
Post by: Andres Bonilla on November 12, 2010, 08:26:37 pm
Thank you Jack, I do have more angles and I should also play with those; try a different angle and hight. Thanks!!