Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: MarkoMijailovic on November 06, 2010, 04:10:05 am

Title: new to medium format... advice needed.
Post by: MarkoMijailovic on November 06, 2010, 04:10:05 am
i've been interested in medium format systems for a while now and after doing a bunch of reading up on them i feel they'd be great for the type of stuff i do; mainly portraits, fashion/editorial shots and the odd landscape. i'd like to purchase one.

but...

after reading so much there's a list of competitors that i've come up with...

would love to have your opinions on which you think would be best for my main photographic style.

mamiya rz67/rz67iipro
hasselblad 500/501cm 
pentax 6x7/67

to be honest i'd go with the mamiya because of the revolving back and great range in lenses, but the weight is sort of what's keeping me on the lookout.

which would you recommend for someone in my position? would like to keep complete system under $2000.

p.s. you can see some of my work here: www.flickr.com/markoandmarko (http://www.flickr.com/markoandmarko)
Title: Re: new to medium format... advice needed.
Post by: yaya on November 06, 2010, 05:06:13 am
i've been interested in medium format systems for a while now and after doing a bunch of reading up on them i feel they'd be great for the type of stuff i do; mainly portraits, fashion/editorial shots and the odd landscape. i'd like to purchase one.

but...

after reading so much there's a list of competitors that i've come up with...

would love to have your opinions on which you think would be best for my main photographic style.

mamiya rz67/rz67iipro
hasselblad 500/501cm 
pentax 6x7/67

to be honest i'd go with the mamiya because of the revolving back and great range in lenses, but the weight is sort of what's keeping me on the lookout.

which would you recommend for someone in my position? would like to keep complete system under $2000.

p.s. you can see some of my work here: www.flickr.com/markoandmarko (http://www.flickr.com/markoandmarko)

If you're considering adding a digital back somewhere down the road then the Pentax body is not an option. The lenses can be used on some other cameras via adapters though

Good luck

yair
Title: Re: new to medium format... advice needed.
Post by: Graham Mitchell on November 06, 2010, 06:46:53 am
...and the Mamiya is very limited on the wide end. A friend of mine was a RZ67 film shooter when he turned digital. He was pretty unhappy with the performance of the 50mm on a digital back, and he ended up trading to a new system for that reason.

I don't know about used Hasselblad prices, but it seems doubtful that you could get a "complete system" for under $2000.
Title: Re: new to medium format... advice needed.
Post by: tbosley on November 06, 2010, 09:48:54 am
I am surprised no one on the forum to my knowledge has even mentioned the released RZ22 Digital Camera.   I realize its possibly adapting an older 22mp sensor, but if RZ digital images catch any of the beauty that film does it would be a good system to look into. 

I get that some only want bleeding cutting edge stuff approaching DSLR specifications with screens and frame rates, but the RZ system does have a loyal following?

As to your price point- I am sure you could invest that much in a few lenses alone with medium format.

Title: Re: new to medium format... advice needed.
Post by: vandevanterSH on November 06, 2010, 11:28:46 am
What system/systems are you using now?  Do you have experience shooting film?  What type of lighting do you use for your work?  Availability of processing and scanning where you live, etc. etc.

Steve
Title: Re: new to medium format... advice needed.
Post by: MarkoMijailovic on November 06, 2010, 02:03:12 pm
Just to clear a few things up... when I say "complete system" I mean a body, back and lens. Other lenses I'd add over time, as well as backs. Just want a basic place to start.

Steve, I'm using a Nikon digital system now. I do have experience shooting film (with Nikons). I'm using a few Bowens 500r's as lighting. I'd have to look more into availability of processing and scanning, though I'm sure there's a couple places in a city like Toronto.

Going to digital back later isn't something I'm sure about as I might just go for a complete digital medium format system later on and just keep this as a film kit.
Title: Re: new to medium format... advice needed.
Post by: Graham Mitchell on November 06, 2010, 02:34:49 pm
Sorry, I assumed earlier that you wanted a system for a digital back. The RZ67 might suit you well. I personally like the 67 film format. The Rollei 6008 is also worth a look, imo.
Title: Re: new to medium format... advice needed.
Post by: vandevanterSH on November 06, 2010, 03:17:17 pm
I am just a hobbyist and have only MF experience with Hasselblad "V" systems.  (I have 5 bodies and about a dozen lenses, film and digital backs, etc.)  One potential advantage of 'blads is that, at least in the US, they still have excellent factory support for their older systems.  They recently ran a "special" for CLA and service and I sent multiple lenses, film backs, bodies, etc. for service and repair.  Turn around time was about two weeks and the cost, I thought, was reasonable.

KEH.con is an excellent resource for seeing what is on the used MF market and gives a starting point for pricing.  I don't know about Mamiya, Pentax, etc. but buying used "V" series stuff over the past 5-7 years, the prices have remained stable if not increased somewhat; so if you decide to get out of the MF game in a few years, baring economic collapse, you are unlike to sustain a significant loss on resale.  As an example, I bought a EX+ 503CW body from KEH about 6 years ago for about $900, similar bodies are listing for $900-1,200 now.  Bottom line is buy latest and best condition within your budget.

Just a quick look at KEH, you could get a EX 503CW body, 80mm CF lens and late model A12 back for about $2k USD.  If you have some flexibility in your budget, I would seriously consider getting a 203 FE body as the starting point for your MF system.

Steve