Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: RichardArran on November 05, 2010, 11:12:00 am

Title: Redesign of my website, comments welcomed.
Post by: RichardArran on November 05, 2010, 11:12:00 am
Hi everyone.

I'm a landscape photographer that specialises with the panoramic format. I've just redesigned my website and welcome any comments either positive or negative.

Thanks

Richard Arran

Panoramic Landscape Photography (http://www.richardarran.com)
Title: Re: Redesign of my website, comments welcomed.
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on November 05, 2010, 11:34:43 am
I like the minimalistic design.
Though the linearity of the navigation seems intended, I can believe some people won't like it.
Its a matter of taste I'd say.
What I'm missing is some background, like photographers bio and such.
Most of the images are very beautiful and I believe specializing in that panoramic format and building the site around it is a good idea.

Good work
Cheers
~Chris
Title: Re: Redesign of my website, comments welcomed.
Post by: RichardArran on November 05, 2010, 11:45:41 am
Thanks Chris,

I will be putting a bio on there soon.
Title: Re: Redesign of my website, comments welcomed.
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on November 05, 2010, 02:13:35 pm
It's clean and loads quickly and I agree with Christoph: the images are stunning.

I don't like the prescriptive design, though. I'd like to see thumbnails and to be able to navigate directly to individual images. I dislike being told what to do!

Jeremy
Title: Re: Redesign of my website, comments welcomed.
Post by: RichardArran on November 05, 2010, 02:34:26 pm
Hi Jeremy,

Thank you for your comments. I will be putting thumbnails on in the near future and dividing images up into categories and country.

Cheers!
Title: Re: Redesign of my website, comments welcomed.
Post by: JohnKoerner on November 06, 2010, 08:57:15 am
I agree with the consensus that the images are truly stunning, with sumptuous colors.

I also agree that no one will want to go through each one (when there is no indication of an end in sight). It would be MUCH better to have a list of thumbnails, so the person (a) has some idea of the number of photos he has to look at, and (b) can pick and choose which ones he would like to view.

It also seems like, on your opening image ... though it is gorgeous in color ... it has a landscape horizon line which is not level (look at the right-half) ...

Jack


.
Title: Re: Redesign of my website, comments welcomed.
Post by: RichardArran on November 08, 2010, 06:05:29 am
Thanks Jack,

The horizon is straight it's hills rising up in the background.

Cheers
Title: Re: Redesign of my website, comments welcomed.
Post by: EduPerez on November 08, 2010, 08:29:11 am
My two cents about the site:

Now, about the images... all I can see is they are gorgeous!
Title: Re: Redesign of my website, comments welcomed.
Post by: popnfresh on November 08, 2010, 01:30:00 pm
Your site is nice, but it takes to long to navigate through it. I would prefer to see a page of thumbnails that I could select directly, rather than having to scroll through all of the photos one by one.
Title: Re: Redesign of my website, comments welcomed.
Post by: LoisWakeman on November 09, 2010, 09:43:12 am
Hi Richard - I concur with the crowd here. Quite ravishing images, but rather offputting navigation.

You say you will be adding a bio - to my view, it's essential, as - online - you are one of thousands and have to find some way of engaging with people  - a poor second to talking to them in a gallery, but essential nonetheless.

I put down some tips in writing here that you may or may not find useful: http://lois.co.uk/web-design/articles/art-or-photo-web-site.asp

(but ignore the very last bit - I have overhauled my own site to use a new CMS and it is now much smaller than the old one till I get time to upload more stuff, so any pretensions to following my own advice are a bit overstated!  :-[ )
Title: Re: Redesign of my website, comments welcomed.
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on November 09, 2010, 10:46:00 am
I heartily endorse Lois's wisdom and the suggestions others have made here.
I admit that because of the comments so far, I have not yet visited Richard's website. I do check this thread regularly and as soon as I see mention of how great the navigation is, I will check it out. I do look forward to seeing the reportedly magnificent images, but I don't want nagging annoyances about navigation to dilute the experience.

Eric
Title: Re: Redesign of my website, comments welcomed.
Post by: RichardArran on November 10, 2010, 06:26:33 am
Lois,

I totally agree, thanks.
Title: Re: Redesign of my website, comments welcomed.
Post by: EduPerez on November 11, 2010, 05:22:44 am
[...]
I put down some tips in writing here that you may or may not find useful: http://lois.co.uk/web-design/articles/art-or-photo-web-site.asp
[...]

Bookmarked... thanks!
Title: Re: Redesign of my website, comments welcomed.
Post by: jamadophoto on February 04, 2011, 06:47:10 am
I like the layout and the big images. It takes a little while to load. Did you try to compress the images so they could load faster? Great site though!