Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Colour Management => Topic started by: Richard L Hess on November 02, 2010, 07:40:44 pm

Title: Win 7 loses colour profiles -- still no solution?
Post by: Richard L Hess on November 02, 2010, 07:40:44 pm
I have spent the better part of a day chasing down why the colour profile that another forum member made for me with ColorMunki for my HP G60 laptop with integrated Intel display adapter won't "stick".

It seems it's a known problem.

What I think is something is over-writing the colour tables from time to time, as I see the correct profile at boot and then it goes to something much bluer. I can go into the Color Management tab and reload OR I can uncheck and recheck the box on use profile and, depending on how I have it configured at the moment, one or the other will bring back the proper profile.

I have disabled the ColorMunki software AND I have unchecked all the Intel Graphics "Automagic" settings in its driver. I have checked for the latest driver and reloaded the one I had (which was the latest).

Still breaks.

Any suggestions?

I've been Googling here and elsewhere. I am aware of an older post here but the forum software suggested writing a new post when I tried to reply.

Thanks!

Richard
Title: Re: Win 7 loses colour profiles -- still no solution?
Post by: Ronny Nilsen on November 03, 2010, 08:26:07 am
Se if this helps:

Stop Losing Display Calibration with Windows 7 (http://www.pusztaiphoto.com/articles/colormgmt/win7/default.aspx)

Ronny
Title: Re: Win 7 loses colour profiles -- still no solution?
Post by: Richard L Hess on November 03, 2010, 08:49:21 am
Hi, Ronny,

Thanks for the link to Laszlo's EXCELLENT article, but I think I've done everything -- and more -- that he suggested. It was a good starting point to know I'm not going crazy.

I re-read it, not to waste the Forum's time and I still think my system is acting differently from what Laszlo describes.

The key thing is it comes up in profile and then it pops out of my profile at some later point in the startup process (and perhaps when other events happen--some have documented it when the warning dialogues come up, but I haven't seen a consistent failure other than at boot and coming out of sleep).

Thanks!

Cheers,

Richard
Title: Re: Win 7 loses colour profiles -- still no solution?
Post by: John R Smith on November 03, 2010, 09:48:54 am
Richard

You are not going mad. My Win 7 box does exactly the same - it loses the loaded profile if it goes into sleep mode, or if UAC pops up. Only thing to do then is re-boot and reload the profile. XP was always solid.

John
Title: Re: Win 7 loses colour profiles -- still no solution?
Post by: Richard L Hess on November 03, 2010, 09:58:43 am
Hi, John,

Then I may have a work-around for you. Depending on how you have it configured (i.e. the profile NOT in the default and two profiles in the user setting with the one you want in Default seems to work best), put a shortcut for Colo(u)r Management (Alt-Drag from Control Panel) on your desktop. Also assume you have the global box checked that Laszlo talks about.

When you lose the profile, double click on that and then uncheck and recheck Use My Profile (or whatever it's called--I'm still at my XP computer at the moment and the W7 laptop is two floors away) and that should bring it back. Much faster than rebooting.

I thought W7 was supposed to be better than Vista and better than XP. I hope they fix this. It's sad to see the profile go away as you come out of sleep. It's there and then poof, the screen gets bluer.

Cheers,

Richard