Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: feppe on November 01, 2010, 06:35:58 pm
-
I have a 10-hour layover at LAX soon on my way to Central America for vacation. I've never been farther west than Louisiana in the US, and thought I'd try to see something while I'm there rather than veg out in the airport lounge.
I'm planning to stop by at Samy's in Culver City, a mall in Commerce, and then spent the rest of time around in Hollywood doing what tourists do. Given the craziness at immigration and security, I'm assuming I'll have around 6 hours for the round trip. I know nothing about the traffic in the afternoon (leaving LAX around 3pm) and evening (back to LAX by 9pm), so is the above itinerary reasonable given the time constraints?
Google maps link to planned route (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=lax&daddr=4411+Sepulveda+Boulevard,+Culver+City,+CA+90230+(Samys+Camera+-+Culver+City)+to:100+Citadel+Drive+Suite+648+Commerce+to:hollywood+to:LAX,+Los+Angeles,+CA,+United+States&hl=en&geocode=FezvBQIdVjrx-ClNpPu-ILHCgDEzG4k9ug9THQ%3BFb3XBgIdUD_x-CEFiWE3EnFb3ikRmf4eF7rCgDGicWqS2pyzMg%3BFXjpBgId7iz1-Ck9I7cOU87CgDFbictAOinDDg%3BFZpMCAIdun3y-Cm_eVIEB7_CgDHk-r2XZ5p69g%3BFezvBQIdVjrx-ClNpPu-ILHCgDEzG4k9ug9THQ&mra=ls&sll=33.97588,-118.290815&sspn=0.159437,0.363579&ie=UTF8&z=11)
-
Harri,
I live in Los Angeles. I am assuming you will be visiting in the next few weeks? What day of the week will you be in town? The reason I ask is that during workdays, the freeways will be pretty busy. The San Diego (405) freeway is particularly impacted due to road construction north of the Santa Monica (10) freeway during rush hours (after 3 or 4 pm).
If you want to stop at Samy's, you might consider the main store on Fairfax, instead of the Culver City store. It is further off the freeway, but is the bigger store with lots more toys to play with. This also puts you closer to some of the Hollywood tourist locations.
http://www.samys.com/index/page/static/subpage/store_locations
Not sure why you are going to the Citadel Outlets location in the City of Commerce? It's the one part of your itinerary that I question. The reason is you will have to travel through downtown Los Angeles at some point. If there is a Lakers basketball game at Staples, freeway traffic wil be stop-and-go.
The other thing of which to be aware is that U.S. Daylight Savings Time ends next weekend. So you will be driving in the dark after about 6PM (1800 hours) local time.
Paul
-
Thanks Paul. Yes, arriving soon on a Friday. Sounds like I'd have to drop the mall and the other Samy's sounds like a better option!
What's the reference to after dark? Is it that dangerous to drive around the areas I mentioned?
-
Harri,
I made that note because some people find it easier to navigate unfamiliar places in daylight than after dark.
As for any danger, if you're visiting the well-known tourist locations, you should have no problems. Just exercise the normal situational awareness you would in any major metropolis.
One other note: we Southern Californians can't drive worth a damn in the wet (too fast AND too slow). If it's raining when you visit my hometown, give yourself a LOT of time to get around.
Paul