Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: narikin on November 01, 2010, 10:55:16 am

Title: good proofing paper in 44" and 60" widths?
Post by: narikin on November 01, 2010, 10:55:16 am
can anyone recommend a good paper for proofing, before I switch to the pricey stuff?

Preferably something that comes in 44 and 60" widths, and has decent Epson profiles available.

thanks!

Title: Re: good proofing paper in 44" and 60" widths?
Post by: Andrew Stagg on November 02, 2010, 05:10:22 am
IN the UK I use Xativa
Title: Re: good proofing paper in 44" and 60" widths?
Post by: Ernst Dinkla on November 02, 2010, 06:50:51 am
Epson Enhanced Matte has a paper white in between Photorag and Photorag Bright White. There are more people using it for that purpose.


met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

spectral plots of +100 inkjet papers:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
Title: Re: good proofing paper in 44" and 60" widths?
Post by: narikin on November 03, 2010, 10:16:52 am
thanks Ernst - a good simple answer. Will look to that.
Title: Re: good proofing paper in 44" and 60" widths?
Post by: narikin on November 03, 2010, 03:47:22 pm
Epson Enhanced Matte has a paper white in between Photorag and Photorag Bright White. There are more people using it for that purpose.
 Ernst Dinkla

apparently this is now called: "Epson Ultra Premium Presentation Paper Matte" in USA at least!
Title: Re: good proofing paper in 44" and 60" widths?
Post by: Ernst Dinkla on November 03, 2010, 05:27:39 pm
apparently this is now called: "Epson Ultra Premium Presentation Paper Matte" in USA at least!

That seems to be the name now. I'm in Europe. It once was called EAM. Till it was actually tested on the "Archival" quality.


met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

spectral plots of +100 inkjet papers:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
Title: Re: good proofing paper in 44" and 60" widths?
Post by: edwinb on November 03, 2010, 06:04:52 pm
i2o offer 190 / 250gm which is more economic than other brands
- profiles (and other resources) are free to download from  image2output-support.com (http://www.image2output-support.com)
- available Europe wide
Edwin
Title: Re: good proofing paper in 44" and 60" widths?
Post by: langier on November 08, 2010, 11:20:03 am
Rather than printing a large image on a different surface, why not smaller prints (a la contact sheet II), as a gang print on a large sheet, or take a sheet/roll and cut part down to 8.5x11 or 11x17 and print smaller images?

This is what I do and then I've got a record and reference print for the larger prints and it's cheap, easy and the print is one the safe surface as my finals.
Title: Re: good proofing paper in 44" and 60" widths?
Post by: sm906 on November 08, 2010, 03:14:52 pm
can anyone recommend a good paper for proofing, before I switch to the pricey stuff?
Preferably something that comes in 44 and 60" widths, and has decent Epson profiles available.

There is no single proofing paper both for matte and glossy papers. I am using a glossy and matte proofing paper.

After some paper research I did some time ago, when I had been asking your question to myself, I found papers that are meeting the right price tag and that come close to the fine art papers I am using:

For the Harman Gloss Baryta I am now using Calumet Brilliant Supreme Lustre (a PE paper, instant dry) (Tecco Technical SW265 Bright White is a good choice as well, but the Calumet paper is a bit cheaper). For the Moab Entrada Rag Natural I am using Tecco Professional PPM 210 paper. The Calumet is about half the price of the Harman and the Tecco costs only 25% of the Moab.

Thomas