Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: neile on October 30, 2010, 09:11:44 pm
-
I'm considering getting an ipf8300, and am wondering if someone who has one can answer a quick question for me: what's the minimum margin you can get when printing on cut sheet paper? Is it 3mm like the 5100? Or not so tiny?
Thanks!
Neil
-
According to the official specs, it is 5 mm for all sides except the trailing edge, which is 23 mm. I have to believe this is correct, since the 6300 is listed in the same document as 3 mm for all but art papers. See the last page of this PDF:
http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/file/view/imagePROGRAF_iPF8300_6350_6300_Brochure.pdf
-
Yuck! That pretty much makes printing on cut sheets impossible on the 8300 :(
Neil
-
Neil, in my experience I don't bother with cut sheets that are smaller than 13x19, and even then I prefer to print on 17x22 sheets. Keep in mind that I really don't like to print near the edges anyway, as I prefer to have quite a bit of of white space around the printed area. I do this because 1) I like the look and 2) it allows for some handling messups.
-
I agree with you Andy, but I have clients who ask for 8x10 and 12x18 on a reasonably regular basis. It's not a lot of margin, but 8.5x11 is a nice size paper for 8x10. 12x18 fits well on 13x19, although I agree the margins are a tad on the small size.
Neil
-
I've learned to like 6x9 on 8.5x11. At first I felt constrained by not being ale to print larger for my folios, but leaving an inch on the sides actually looks nice.Proportionally, it's more image on the paper than the 13x20 framed 22x28, which is my normal for that size.
-
No objections from me, Rob. It's tough to explain that to a client that wants a single print done 8x10 to fit in an existing frame + mat :D
Neil
-
Neil, this is exactly why you will need to keep your iPF5100 printer: cut sheets.
-
Ugh, don't even go there. I've been considering it, but selling it was how I was going to finance the 8300, plus the print studio is just small.
But... maybe :)
Neil
-
Neil-
If you end up with the 8300, printing 8x10 images on 8.5x11 pages laid out on 44" paper is not really an onerous task. I strongly suggest getting a D-Roller (Shades of Paper) to take out the curl. Let the prints harden overnight before decurling. The Lucia EX ink in the 8300 is even more resistant to scuffing, but you'll want to use all precautions, anyway. A good trimmer like a Rotatrim will give excellent results. The final sheets may not be as precise as 8.5x11 sheets out of a box, but they can be darn close. Certainly it's not something I've ever heard anyone complain about.
-
Thanks Rob. I have all those tools handy, and the new studio setup will finally have room to use them. Of course my customers often order just one 8x10, not multiple. Ah well :)
Neil
-
This video might help you out. I found it useful
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAMliusVwmo