Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: louler on October 30, 2010, 11:40:37 am

Title: image size in info( finder ) and image size window of photoshop do not match
Post by: louler on October 30, 2010, 11:40:37 am
HI there ,

This is really driving me crazy
Why is it when I open a TIff picture in photoshop , the image size drops by 10 MB??
IN the finder and bridge the image is showing 40 MB , in photoshop  it is somehwere around 20.7 MB....
Also how can I shrink the tiff to make is exactly 30 MB?

Title: Re: image size in info( finder ) and image size window of photoshop do not match
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on October 30, 2010, 01:10:09 pm
HI there ,

This is really driving me crazy
Why is it when I open a TIff picture in photoshop , the image size drops by 10 MB??
IN the finder and bridge the image is showing 40 MB , in photoshop  it is somehwere around 20.7 MB....
Also how can I shrink the tiff to make is exactly 30 MB?

Two things to consider.
1. What does Photoshop report, image size or file size (including TIFF tags, preview thumbnail, etc.)?
2. File compression settings. Compressing a 16-bit/channel file with lots of detail may effectively increase file size, depending on method.

As for shrinking to a predefined size, Photoshop can do that with JPEGs and PNGs throught the 'File|Save for Web & Devices' menu. TIFFs I don't know, other than by trial and error, but pehaps someone else has an idea.

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: image size in info( finder ) and image size window of photoshop do not match
Post by: louler on October 30, 2010, 01:40:36 pm
Tks Bartvander ! so you mean I should disreguard the finder's calculation of a file size and stick to photoshop's image size.
Title: Re: image size in info( finder ) and image size window of photoshop do not match
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on October 30, 2010, 02:23:51 pm
Tks Bartvander ! so you mean I should disreguard the finder's calculation of a file size and stick to photoshop's image size.

Which is more important for you? If you're concerned with storage/transmission capacity then obviously one should follow the finder's calculation, if one is concerned with memory constraints when working on the file, then Photoshop presumably gives a more accurate number.

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: image size in info( finder ) and image size window of photoshop do not match
Post by: louler on October 30, 2010, 02:31:18 pm
tks ! so I'll depend on photoshop since it is more accurate.