Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Colour Management => Topic started by: achrisproduction on October 29, 2010, 11:55:39 pm

Title: New 24" Wide gamut LCD
Post by: achrisproduction on October 29, 2010, 11:55:39 pm
I am currently looking for a wide gamut 24" LCD.  The Dell U2410 seems very attractive (the price).  Anyone own one?  How does it compare to EIZO / Lacie / NEC's 24"s?  Thanks.
Title: Re: New 24" Wide gamut LCD
Post by: Bob Rockefeller on October 30, 2010, 09:59:47 am
I am currently looking for a wide gamut 24" LCD.  The Dell U2410 seems very attractive (the price).  Anyone own one?  How does it compare to EIZO / Lacie / NEC's 24"s?  Thanks.

I've started some research into wide gamut displays and have summarized my results so far here:

http://www.bobrockefeller.com/2010/10/25/wide-gamut-displays/

I'm leaning toward the NEC PA series.
Title: Re: New 24" Wide gamut LCD
Post by: achrisproduction on October 30, 2010, 08:04:53 pm
I've started some research into wide gamut displays and have summarized my results so far here:

http://www.bobrockefeller.com/blog/wide-gamut-displays.html

I'm leaning toward the NEC PA series.

Thanks bob!  :)
Title: Re: New 24" Wide gamut LCD
Post by: WombatHorror on October 31, 2010, 08:06:46 pm
I am currently looking for a wide gamut 24" LCD.  The Dell U2410 seems very attractive (the price).  Anyone own one?  How does it compare to EIZO / Lacie / NEC's 24"s?  Thanks.

You can calibrat the NEC well with a $285 package. The Dell needs a spectro, so colormunki would the cheapest option, the next option is the $800 i1Pro.
NEC PA has a bit better contrast ratio and an even better sRGB emulation mode and a number of other pluses over the U2410.
Of course it does cost a good deal more.
Title: Re: New 24" Wide gamut LCD
Post by: ChasP505 on October 31, 2010, 09:07:33 pm
... The Dell needs a spectro, so colormunki would the cheapest option, the next option is the $800 i1Pro....

Where did you get this misinformation from?  Why would the Dell U2410 require a spectro?

You can use any consumer level monitor calibration product (EyeOne Display 2, any Spyder3 version, etc.).
Title: Re: New 24" Wide gamut LCD
Post by: probep on October 31, 2010, 10:55:42 pm
Where did you get this misinformation from?  Why would the Dell U2410 require a spectro?

You can use any consumer level monitor calibration product (EyeOne Display 2, any Spyder3 version, etc.).
Yes, you can. But only with programs having correction matrices for wide gamut displays. As far as I know there are the only two such programs: Quato iColor Display and ArgyllCMS.
Otherwise you'll get wrong results.
Title: Re: New 24" Wide gamut LCD
Post by: ChasP505 on November 01, 2010, 11:32:07 am
Yes, you can. But only with programs having correction matrices for wide gamut displays. As far as I know there are the only two such programs: Quato iColor Display and ArgyllCMS.
Otherwise you'll get wrong results.


You won't get "wrong" results, but the white point may be off a bit.  But you can add the Spyder3 products and ColorEyes Display Pro to your short list.
Title: Re: New 24" Wide gamut LCD
Post by: hjulenissen on November 01, 2010, 11:38:54 am
What do you think about the Dell u2711? 4 megapixels seems like a nice way of making my 1:1 views cover a larger part of the image while still being large enough to see single-pixel sharpness...

-h
Title: Re: New 24" Wide gamut LCD
Post by: probep on November 01, 2010, 11:56:16 am
You won't get "wrong" results, but the white point may be off a bit.  But you can add the Spyder3 products and ColorEyes Display Pro to your short list.
Did you compare the Spyder3 (and the i1D2) with spectros in ColorEyes Display Pro on a wide gamut display? I did! On HP LP2475w and NEC 2690WUXi2.
I didn't see any correction for wide gamut displays.
ColorEyes Display Pro shows wrong results not only for the white point but also for the primaries, secondaries and so on.

Also I compared regular colorimeters with two different i1Pro spectrometers in:
basICColor display;
Quato iColor Display;
LaCie blue eye pro;
i1Match;
ProfileMaker;
ArgyllCMS 1.3.x;
Spyder3Elite software;
SpectraView II (in SVII I compared not only with spectros but also with NEC MDSVSENSOR2 colorimeter).

Once more again: only Quato iColor Display and ArgyllCMS obviously support correction matrices for regular colorimeters on wide gamut displays.
I have read the advertisement from Integrated Color Corporation: "If you are using newer wide gamut monitors we recommend the Spyder3", but I prefer to test than to believe in advertisements.
Title: Re: New 24" Wide gamut LCD
Post by: jerryrock on November 01, 2010, 12:55:19 pm
I've started some research into wide gamut displays and have summarized my results so far here:

http://www.bobrockefeller.com/blog/wide-gamut-displays.html

I'm leaning toward the NEC PA series.


You missed one. The HP LP2480zx Dreamcolor display.

http://h20331.www2.hp.com/hpsub/cache/596803-0-0-225-121.html



Title: Re: New 24" Wide gamut LCD
Post by: digitaldog on November 01, 2010, 01:29:12 pm
You won't get "wrong" results, but the white point may be off a bit.  But you can add the Spyder3 products and ColorEyes Display Pro to your short list.

I agree, it might be wrong, it might be right, (it might result in a match). If you target for say CCT 5500K (which is a range of possible targets), do you really hit it? Does it ensure a match? Even with D65 or any other standard illuminant, is hitting what you ask for going to ensure you get a screen to print match? Nope. So you can use these devices IF you have one (if you don’t, by all means, get one that is filtered for the device). But either way, you’ll probably have to futz with the number until you hit something the results in a visual match.
Title: Re: New 24" Wide gamut LCD
Post by: digitaldog on November 01, 2010, 01:33:24 pm
You missed one. The HP LP2480zx Dreamcolor display.
http://h20331.www2.hp.com/hpsub/cache/596803-0-0-225-121.html

Especially useful for those of you wanting to view billions of colors. Or having The world’s only 30-bit color-critical LCD built on HP DreamColor Engine technology (as opposed to having an NEC, The world’s only 36-bit color-critical LCD built on NEC Engine technology). Got to love the marketing BS.
Title: Re: New 24" Wide gamut LCD
Post by: jerryrock on November 01, 2010, 02:03:43 pm
Especially useful for those of you wanting to view billions of colors. Or having The world’s only 30-bit color-critical LCD built on HP DreamColor Engine technology (as opposed to having an NEC, The world’s only 36-bit color-critical LCD built on NEC Engine technology). Got to love the marketing BS.

Agreed, the marketing can be confusing. One of the criteria we should be comparing is color gamut. I bought the Dreamcolor display because of it's ability to display 100% of Adobe RGB and the ability to switch between any of seven calibrated color spaces with the push of a button. Granted I currently only use three of the seven; Full (proprietary space advertised as 133% of NTSC), Adobe RGB and sRGB.
Title: Re: New 24" Wide gamut LCD
Post by: digitaldog on November 01, 2010, 02:18:51 pm
DreamColor LP2480zx, 100% Adobe RGB (1998) cost (B&H) $1,810.23 (Temporarily unavailable).

NEC PA241-BK-SV, 98.1% Adobe RGB (1998) cost (B&H) $1,171.97

Looks like the NEC comes with the matted Colorimeter at this price. Don’t think the HP does. And it appears the NEC has the ability to also switch between calibrated color spaces:
Quote
Picture Mode preset configuration: Multiple color modes can be quickly configured and selected using MultiProfiler. Choose from the simplicity of built-in sRGB, Adobe RGB, DCI, DICOM, REC-BT709 and High Brightness modes, or load a device ICC profile for color matching a printer or even another monitor.
Title: Re: New 24" Wide gamut LCD
Post by: Bob Rockefeller on November 01, 2010, 07:05:24 pm
You missed one. The HP LP2480zx Dreamcolor display.

http://h20331.www2.hp.com/hpsub/cache/596803-0-0-225-121.html

I did and so I'll have to give it a look. It seems to be priced up there with the Eizos - which is  a lot. But 100% of the Adobe RGB colorspace is very good.
Title: Re: New 24" Wide gamut LCD
Post by: digitaldog on November 01, 2010, 07:12:13 pm
It seems to be priced up there with the Eizos - which is  a lot. But 100% of the Adobe RGB colorspace is very good.

Yup, that extra 1.9% is darn costly <g>

It also appears the NEC gives you a year more warranty.
Title: Re: New 24" Wide gamut LCD
Post by: achrisproduction on November 05, 2010, 08:50:14 pm
any more feedbacks for the U2410?
Title: Re: New 24" Wide gamut LCD
Post by: ChasP505 on November 05, 2010, 10:51:19 pm
any more feedbacks for the U2410?

If I was shopping in this price range ($500+), I'd skip over the U2410 and look at the NEC P221/Spectraview combo for only slightly more money.
Title: Re: New 24" Wide gamut LCD
Post by: Brammers on November 06, 2010, 11:06:54 pm
any more feedbacks for the U2410?

Had 2, not impressed.  They both went back because of panel uneveness.  Not the kind of uneveness that's detectable with instruments, the kind of uneveness that lead people who don't know about panel uneveness to comment 'it's a bit pink on one side and a bit green on the other.' Turns out it's a well known issue and Dell won't accept returns based on this any more - google 'green and pink tinge.'

A lot cheaper though, and if you got one without that then I'm sure you'd be delighted.  Maybe one to consider if you can buy it in person?