Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Graham Mitchell on October 29, 2010, 07:30:39 pm
-
Tomorrow I will be printing my whole folio on Hahnemühle Photo Rag Pearl (A3 size). Any last minute advice, tips, etc?
I have seen a small patch of ink flake off on a test print on a dark area, which stands out. Is this just one of those things that can happen? Can I do anything to avoid it?
Any issues with scoring and folding this paper for a book?
(I selected this paper from a fairly limited choice due to the good shadow detail performance.)
-
I've always liked Hahn PRP. I don't know how it reacts to scoring and folding; that's where testing comes in handy. It's an alpha cellulose paper, and I've always had better luck with cotton papers in terms of durability. Have you looked at Hahn Photo Rag Baryta? It holds shadow detail well and it's 100% cotton -- nice tactile quality. The Hahn Fine Art Baryta on the other hand is alpha cellulose.
-
I've always liked Hahn PRP. I don't know how it reacts to scoring and folding; that's where testing comes in handy. It's an alpha cellulose paper, and I've always had better luck with cotton papers in terms of durability. Have you looked at Hahn Photo Rag Baryta? It holds shadow detail well and it's 100% cotton -- nice tactile quality. The Hahn Fine Art Baryta on the other hand is alpha cellulose.
All the Photo Rag papers are 100% cotton, afaik. PRP definitely is.
-
Mea culpa. Yes you are right about the rag papers being cotton. Hahn also has a fine art pearl paper that is 100% alpha cellulose. Their fine art baryta is also alpha cellulose.
-
I have seen a small patch of ink flake off on a test print on a dark area, which stands out. Is this just one of those things that can happen? Can I do anything to avoid it?
I like that paper, but prefer the PRB. I do unfortunately also quite often experience this flaking off in the saturated black areas of the print. The worst is Canson's Platine. The only remedy I found is to take a little bit of the original ink and apply it on a the tiny spot. That's to save the prints at least, because this tends to happen on the big ones ;-)
good luck
regards
nino
-
According to Hahnemuhle, the PRP has a better d-max than PRB, but I can't see it. I print with both these papers exclusively. I prefer the Pearl for color and the Baryta for bw. But that's just me, they are both terrific papers and your portfolio will shine with either.
-
I just finished the printing today (on a 3880) and I'm very happy with the results. Will do the scoring, folding and punching in a day or two and then take it for a test drive :)
-
don't forget to give us your feedback!
regards
nino