Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: scott morrish on October 27, 2010, 08:05:15 am

Title: Camera Raw and LR3
Post by: scott morrish on October 27, 2010, 08:05:15 am
Hello again,

Lots of questions at the moment...
This time... I am wondering about the latest version of CR that can be used in LR3.

I am using LR3.2 and CS4.
Exporting from LR3 leads to a window saying that i should be using CR5.7.
I go to Photoshop and check for upgrades... and there are none at the moment. As far as i can see i am using CR5. I am also aware that there is a CR6.

I always want the very best out of LR3... so:
[1] does the version of CR matter?
and if it does... [2] how does one upgrade?

FWIW i never use CR via Photoshop.

Again, thanks for any help.
Scott

Title: Re: Camera Raw and LR3
Post by: sniper on October 27, 2010, 09:36:50 am
I'm sure other will chip in but it's my understanding that updates from 6 onwards are for CS5, from memory I think 5.6 (or 5.7 mac) were the latest for cs4. 
Title: Re: Camera Raw and LR3
Post by: madmanchan on October 27, 2010, 10:42:34 am
You can check the About box when running the Camera Raw dialog. It should say 5.7 (that's the last version for CS4). If it does, you're all set. Otherwise, check here for the Mac updater:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4682

and here for the Windows updater:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4683
Title: Re: Camera Raw and LR3
Post by: scott morrish on October 27, 2010, 10:53:52 am
Thanks to Sniper and Eric.
I'll re-check CR version in a mo.
In the meantime... is there a qualitative difference between the out-put of CR5 / 5.7 / 6?

Thanks again,
Scott

[edit - i was running 5: I have now installed 5.7 - thanks Eric]
Title: Re: Camera Raw and LR3
Post by: madmanchan on October 28, 2010, 10:41:06 am
Yes, there is. CR 6 (now up to CR 6.2) includes a number of improved image processing methods (sharpening, noise reduction, fill light, to name a few). This will make images processed in CR 6 different (hopefully better) compared to CR 5.
Title: Re: Camera Raw and LR3
Post by: scott morrish on October 29, 2010, 04:09:46 am
Thanks again Eric.

I have CS4 (and now CR5.7) and LR3.2. I just noticed that LR states CR6.2 on its 'about LR' display: yet PS is definitely using CR5.7.

So does PS4 use CR5.7, whilst LR3.2 uses CR6.2?
Or is LR3.2 forced to use CR5.7 because i have CS4 on my system?
Maybe it only matters when handing files from LR directly to PS?
Apologies, but i'm confused (again): what is actually happening?

Thanks,
Scott
Title: Re: Camera Raw and LR3
Post by: sniper on October 29, 2010, 07:54:53 am
Yes, there is. CR 6 (now up to CR 6.2) includes a number of improved image processing methods (sharpening, noise reduction, fill light, to name a few). This will make images processed in CR 6 different (hopefully better) compared to CR 5.
I  thought 6 onwards were for CS5?
Title: Re: Camera Raw and LR3
Post by: 01af on October 29, 2010, 01:18:33 pm
I have CS4 (and now CR5.7) and LR3.2. I just noticed that LR states CR6.2 on its 'about LR' display: yet PS is definitely using CR5.7.

So does PS4 use CR5.7, whilst LR3.2 uses CR6.2?

PS4 doesn't use Camera Raw at all; it's waay too old. Camera Raw didn't yet exist back then. But you don't have PS4 anyway. You have PS CS4 instead.

Lightroom doesn't use Camera Raw either. Instead, it has the same raw engine built in as the respective Camera Raw version has. So the raw engine inside Lightroom 3.2 is the same as the one inside Camera Raw 6.2.

After you updated your copy of Camera Raw to version 5.7, that's what PS CS4 now is using.


Or is LR3.2 forced to use CR5.7 because I have CS4 on my system?

No. Lightroom doesn't use Camera Raw at all.

By the way, you can now download the beta versions (or "release candidates", as Adobe prefers to call them) of Lightroom 3.3, Camera Raw 6.3, and DNG Converter 6.3 from Adobe Labs (http://labs.adobe.com/). As usual, they support a few new digital cameras and most likely include a few bug fixes. Nothing new beyond that. Most likely, the final releases of these new versions will arrive at the middle or end of November.
Title: Re: Camera Raw and LR3
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on November 01, 2010, 05:22:35 am
By the way, you can now download the beta versions (or "release candidates", as Adobe prefers to call them)
That isn't entirely fair. There is (supposed to be) a difference between beta and RC.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Camera Raw and LR3
Post by: 01af on November 01, 2010, 06:09:08 am
That isn't entirely fair. There is (supposed to be) a difference between beta and RC.

That's what I think, too. Still Adobe uses the two terms as if they were synonyms.
Title: Re: Camera Raw and LR3
Post by: madmanchan on November 01, 2010, 10:01:24 am
Yes, we do often use the terms interchangeably (i.e., public beta vs release candidate). Please don't let the terminology confuse you. The basic idea is that before the final release, we put out a preliminary release which serves a few purposes. We've been doing this for several versions now.