Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: Dave Gurtcheff on October 23, 2010, 12:52:07 pm

Title: Content Aware Fill saves the day
Post by: Dave Gurtcheff on October 23, 2010, 12:52:07 pm
I am retired and live on a barrier island. I supplement my income by selling fine art prints to tourists, visitors, and locals. I have an advantage in that I am here year round, and can take advantage of the occasional awsome sky, etc. Yesterday was such a day here. Big blue sky, big  puffy clouds. The dunes bloom golden rods for three weeks or so in October. Yesterday I photographed most of the entire day, and I was certain I got some real winners. When I down loaded my card to my PC and viewed them in Sony's file browser, I felt sick. I used a Sony A900 and Zeiss 24~70 and Zeiss 16~35 lenses. ALL the 24~70 shots taken at 24mm had severe vignetting. I realized what I had done later. I acidentally put my slim polarizer ON TOP OF the UV filter that I always leave on my lenses (blowing fine sand and salt air envronment). This caused the vignetting. I knew I could crop the edges out severly (defeating the wide angle effect I wanted). I am also aware that PS has a function to help fix vignetting, but I have never used it, and I am far from a PS expert. What I did as a trial, was to convert the RAW file in ACR. Then I used an irregular selection of each corner and used Content Aware fill. It worked perfectly. Fortunately the vignetted areas had no detail. Blue sky/clouds on top, and sand and shells on bottom. It saved the day. Looks perfect.
Dave  ::)
www.moernpictorials.com
Title: Re: Content Aware Fill saves the day
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on October 23, 2010, 04:01:43 pm
Nice story, but are you sure that is your web site, "moern..."? Looks like you wanted to say Modern Pictorials, no?
Title: Re: Content Aware Fill saves the day
Post by: Ken Bennett on October 23, 2010, 04:06:59 pm
I have used content aware fill when stitching panoramics from multiple images -- if I have some edges of sky that need to be filled after cropping, this tool works very well.
Title: Re: Content Aware Fill saves the day
Post by: Dave Gurtcheff on October 23, 2010, 10:26:04 pm
Nice story, but are you sure that is your web site, "moern..."? Looks like you wanted to say Modern Pictorials, no?
Never was a good typist. Thanks for picking up on it. It should be
www.modernpictorials.com
Best regards
Dave
Title: Re: Content Aware Fill saves the day
Post by: EduPerez on October 24, 2010, 04:49:42 pm
Are you sure content-aware fill was more suited to the task that any of the dedicated methods to correct vignetting?
Title: Re: Content Aware Fill saves the day
Post by: Dave Gurtcheff on October 25, 2010, 02:21:31 pm
Are you sure content-aware fill was more suited to the task that any of the dedicated methods to correct vignetting?
I did not try any other method. My PS skills are limited to the basics (all that I did in my Chemical Darkroom).
Best regards
Dave