Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: TexasCrane on October 21, 2010, 02:44:52 pm

Title: Keyword Lists
Post by: TexasCrane on October 21, 2010, 02:44:52 pm
Does anybody have any experience/opinions regarding D-65's Keyword list vs the Controlled Vocabulary Keyword Catalog? Without having seen the actual lists, from what I can gather the CV list is bigger and costs less. Of course that doesn't necessarily mean it's better.  Any reason I should consider the D-65 list instead? Thanks.

Derek
Title: Re: Keyword Lists
Post by: feppe on October 21, 2010, 04:04:50 pm
Does anybody have any experience/opinions regarding D-65's Keyword list vs the Controlled Vocabulary Keyword Catalog? Without having seen the actual lists, from what I can gather the CV list is bigger and costs less. Of course that doesn't necessarily mean it's better.  Any reason I should consider the D-65 list instead? Thanks.

I have and use CVKC and it's quite good, built hierarchically. It obviously has gaps, but helps a lot especially with the non-visual stuff. Not familiar with D-65.
Title: Re: Keyword Lists
Post by: jed best on October 21, 2010, 04:26:18 pm
Seth is a master of keywording and his D-65 list is very extensive. I would highly recommend it.

Jed
Title: Re: Keyword Lists
Post by: wtlloyd on October 21, 2010, 04:31:00 pm
I've considered buying each one in turn, and decided, for now, not to. They arguably would be an asset for someone who looks to sell usage of their images.

For me, I don't want to wade through long lists that have only passing relevance to the way I think of my catalog. I have taken a hint and structured (loosely) my keywording in the hierarchical way those lists are organized. But I have locations only for the photos I have. And I'm not keywording for others to find my images, but for me. And that, I think, would be the main deciding point.
Title: Re: Keyword Lists
Post by: Ronny Nilsen on October 22, 2010, 05:21:07 am
Does anybody have any experience/opinions regarding D-65's Keyword list vs the Controlled Vocabulary Keyword Catalog? Without having seen the actual lists, from what I can gather the CV list is bigger and costs less. Of course that doesn't necessarily mean it's better.  Any reason I should consider the D-65 list instead? Thanks.

Derek

I have both, as well as others. The CVKC is more complete and have a better
general taxonomy as a starting point for a general taxonomy with many words.
The D-65 is more targeted at photography of the type Seth does, and is a good
(better?) starting point if that is your type of photography as well.

I have both and is combining them as there is value in both, but I use the overall
taxonomy of CVKC as that is more comprehensive.

Ronny