Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: GeraldB on October 21, 2010, 01:49:10 pm

Title: Framing suppliers in Canada
Post by: GeraldB on October 21, 2010, 01:49:10 pm
Are there any recommendations for framing suppliers of customized frames sizes in Canada. I'm looking at the moment at metal frames with non glare acrylic. I'm talking small quantities (3 or 4 at a time) in the 24x36" size range. There are a number of USA suppliers that have been mentioned on this forum, but with shipping, duty and agent fees it gets pretty expensive by the time it gets to Canada.
Title: Re: Framing suppliers in Canada
Post by: Ian99 on October 21, 2010, 04:04:57 pm
As soon as you say “customized” the price goes up and availability goes down. Also in that size it helps to go to a local framer so you can avoid freight charges.

That being said, I have used both matshop.ca near Victoria, and corbyframing.ca near Hamilton and am satisfied with their products. Don Corby will make custom frames for you.
Title: Re: Framing suppliers in Canada
Post by: JohnHeerema on October 21, 2010, 10:36:15 pm
For custom stuff in Canada, I also go with the local framer. My guy buys the stuff in eight foot lengths, and cuts it down. If you are suitably masochistic, I suppose you do do that yourself too.
Title: Re: Framing suppliers in Canada
Post by: Tim Gray on October 22, 2010, 05:22:36 pm
http://www.matshop.ca/  I've used and can recommend....
Title: Re: Framing suppliers in Canada
Post by: GeraldB on October 22, 2010, 05:43:47 pm
Thanks for the feedback. For now I've gone with American Frames. Their prices are the better than I can get locally if you include the non glare acrylic - even with shipping. I may get a bit of sticker shock with the duty and customs fees. 
Title: Re: Framing suppliers in Canada
Post by: Andrew Makiejewski on October 27, 2011, 10:18:35 pm
I am wondering how things went with your order from American Frame as it looks like I will need to do the same.

As someone mentioned, I tried matshop.ca, but they require a minimum order of 5. I am looking at getting 3 frames of 3 different sizes and the cost would be way to much. Also tried some of the local framers and was shocked at the prices they gave. They wanted over a $100.00 for just the frame, no mat, mounting board or glass/plexi. I can get a complete kit from American Frame for under that.

Would prefer to support local Canadian stores, but just can't afford to. >:(

Andrew

Thanks for the feedback. For now I've gone with American Frames. Their prices are the better than I can get locally if you include the non glare acrylic - even with shipping. I may get a bit of sticker shock with the duty and customs fees. 
Title: Re: Framing suppliers in Canada
Post by: RFPhotography on October 28, 2011, 09:09:03 am
I know this thread is a year old but since it's been brought back up, I'll add my thoughts.

If you're looking at a comparable option to American Frames or Dick Blick or Pictureframes.com or others then you'll be looking for a long time.  There isn't anything.  Canadian sources simply can't order in the volume required to be able to offer those kinds of lower prices.  It's the same with printing.  I can order a print from a U.S. printing house and when shipping and taxes are included it's still significantly less expensive than a comparable quality shop here in Canada. 

If price is a big driver of choosing a supplier (and it is for many), get used to ordering from the U.S.

One option is to print as much as you can in stock sizes.  This will allow you to buy ready made frames and you can pick up some from time to time when some retailers have them on sale.  It's not ideal, but it does work.
Title: Re: Framing suppliers in Canada
Post by: framah on October 28, 2011, 09:32:15 am
I am wondering how things went with your order from American Frame as it looks like I will need to do the same.

As someone mentioned, I tried matshop.ca, but they require a minimum order of 5. I am looking at getting 3 frames of 3 different sizes and the cost would be way to much. Also tried some of the local framers and was shocked at the prices they gave. They wanted over a $100.00 for just the frame, no mat, mounting board or glass/plexi. I can get a complete kit from American Frame for under that.

Would prefer to support local Canadian stores, but just can't afford to. >:(

Andrew


A little reality check here...

It always amazes me  when people say they were SHOCKED by the price of a local framer and then you go on to compare it to a company that has a huge warehouse of moulding and does nothing else but cut and ship kits. If your local framer had those resources and size of business, they would probably charge alot less as well.

Stop comparing apples to oranges. If you are going to compare prices then compare them to like businesses. There is no way a local framer can compete with a huge company so don't be so shocked when the price is more. ::)


Title: Re: Framing suppliers in Canada
Post by: Andrew Makiejewski on October 28, 2011, 11:12:16 pm
I understand your comment, but I am not talking a $5.00 difference.

Today did some more checking and the price difference from Canada to the US for a metal frame, acrylic, mat and backing board is like $60.00. Even at $10.00 difference I would shop in Canada.
Also two of them had a 5 piece minimum and with 3 frames sizes, that is out of the question. I do not need that many for my personal use and the total cost is not in my budget at all.

Just my 2 cents.

Andrew
A little reality check here...

It always amazes me  when people say they were SHOCKED by the price of a local framer and then you go on to compare it to a company that has a huge warehouse of moulding and does nothing else but cut and ship kits. If your local framer had those resources and size of business, they would probably charge alot less as well.

Stop comparing apples to oranges. If you are going to compare prices then compare them to like businesses. There is no way a local framer can compete with a huge company so don't be so shocked when the price is more. ::)



Title: Re: Framing suppliers in Canada
Post by: FrankG on November 22, 2011, 10:30:28 am
I am near Toronto (Richmond Hill).
Can anyone recommend a place to get thin profile black metal frames, acid free mats and glass or acrylic at reasonable prices.
The image size is 12 x 18 with a 4-6inch border mat = a frame 20x26 inch or 20x 30in
Thanks
Title: Re: Framing suppliers in Canada
Post by: Kerry L on November 22, 2011, 02:53:31 pm
Thanks for the feedback. For now I've gone with American Frames. Their prices are the better than I can get locally if you include the non glare acrylic - even with shipping. I may get a bit of sticker shock with the duty and customs fees. 

I'm curious in what the final cost outcome was for you. How much difference was there in cost between a local framer and the US supplier and with all the taxes, duties and S&H ?
Title: Re: Framing suppliers in Canada
Post by: Mike Guilbault on November 24, 2011, 08:11:08 pm
hmmm... no wonder Canadian suppliers can't offer the same prices as US.. we keep on purchasing from the US.  just saying'

I get mine from Larson Juhl, but I believe you need a store-front to get an account. Try http://chops.ca/index.php/metal-moulding/metal/ (http://chops.ca/index.php/metal-moulding/metal/)
Title: Re: Framing suppliers in Canada
Post by: Andrew Makiejewski on December 23, 2011, 11:55:37 pm
Well after spending some more time in trying to find a Canadian retailer/framing supply place and so on, could not find one that was withing reason. It was a shame to have to go to the US, but having to buy a minimum of 5 frames for each size I wanted or to pay 60+% more per frame. Can't afford it to pay more as this was for myself and photography is just a hobby.

I placed an order from AmericanFrames I got my order delivered. My order arrived in fives boxes and all was well. It was boxed very well and the mat board and mounting board were in excellent condition. The order was shipped via UPS and arrived at the door without any extra fees. I ordered metal frames with non-glare acrylic with mat and mounting board. Also ordered extra mat and mounting board cut to the size of my frames. Then I just cut out the opening with my Logan mat cutter.

Over all any easy and delight to deal with them.

Happy Holidays everyone.

Andrew
Title: Re: Framing suppliers in Canada
Post by: luxborealis on December 24, 2011, 05:11:03 pm
If you don't mind me asking - what did you pay and for what size?

FYI: I am working with two local framers (Guelph, ON) and am buying:
Title: Re: Framing suppliers in Canada
Post by: Andrew Makiejewski on December 25, 2011, 10:06:05 am
You have done well with pricing with you local framer. I could not check every local framer, but visited about 7 of them and others I called. Typically the frame alone for a 24 x 28 was $115.00, mat, mount and glass/plexi was extra.

For the 24"x28" metal frame that is 1-3/8" wide matte black with anti-glare plexi, acid free 4ply mat and acid free 3/16" foam core was $100.00.

Andrew

If you don't mind me asking - what did you pay and for what size?

FYI: I am working with two local framers (Guelph, ON) and am buying:
  • 20x24" beautifully finished wooden frames for about $70 each (built with glass, backing and hardware); metal frames for about the same;
  • 32x40" 6-ply conservation mat board for $27.84;and
  • 32x40" acid free foam core backing for $7.75
Title: Re: Framing suppliers in Canada
Post by: chez on December 25, 2011, 02:33:58 pm
The mat shop, www.matshop.ca has done me well over the years. Very reasonable prices with excellent quality. Yes, minimum order is 5 pieces, but for me, that's not a problem.
Title: Re: Framing suppliers in Canada
Post by: Andrew Makiejewski on December 25, 2011, 08:29:55 pm
I was hoping matshop.ca would have been the place. Everyone's need are different. I love the look of simple flat matte wooden frames. I want frames that are built so that it is easy to change the prints. There are some wooden frames that allow this, but width of the groove is barely wide enough to handle when the print is mounted on a 1/16" board.

Henry's carries the Peachtree line which use plastic clips to hold the image in place and looks like it can handle the print mounted on foam core. 24 x 30" is about $99.00. Nice looking frame and the only thing that I found that was a bit of a let down, was the plexi was rather thin.

I bought the metal frames for myself as they are for my own photos that I want to hang in my home. then change the prints when I mood.

Slowly we are seeing more printing services showing up like posterjack.ca and 44wide. Also now us hobbyists can even make pretty good photo books at a reasonable price and am hoping to have one done by the end of 2012.
Title: Re: Framing suppliers in Canada
Post by: displayonacrylic on October 10, 2014, 10:24:46 pm
Are there any recommendations for framing suppliers of customized frames sizes in Canada. I'm looking at the moment at metal frames with non glare acrylic. I'm talking small quantities (3 or 4 at a time) in the 24x36" size range. There are a number of USA suppliers that have been mentioned on this forum, but with shipping, duty and agent fees it gets pretty expensive by the time it gets to Canada.



www.displayonacrylic.com ,it is a manufacturer in acrylic displays , they have agent in canada ,you can contact them.