Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: PeterAit on October 19, 2010, 09:28:04 am

Title: For your Christmas list?
Post by: PeterAit on October 19, 2010, 09:28:04 am
I see that Nieman Marcus is offering a special edition of the Leica M9, limited to 50 units worldwide. The body is covered in ostrich leather and the LCD viewfinder is covered with sapphire glass. A mere $17,500.

Title: Re: For your Christmas list?
Post by: RSL on October 19, 2010, 10:27:53 am
Yep, Leica stopped making cameras and started making jewelry about half way through the M8 run. That seems to be the only way they can stay in business. It's pretty tragic. Their lenses are fabulous. Their digital bodies are junk.
Title: Re: For your Christmas list?
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on October 19, 2010, 10:37:26 am
It's the ostrich leather that really improves the image quality over the standard M9.

Eric
Title: Re: For your Christmas list?
Post by: Michael LS on October 19, 2010, 11:28:26 am
Ostrich leather? And I had sooo hoped for Alpaca fur.  :'(
Title: Re: For your Christmas list?
Post by: Rob C on October 19, 2010, 11:29:05 am
Yep, Leica stopped making cameras and started making jewelry about half way through the M8 run. That seems to be the only way they can stay in business. It's pretty tragic. Their lenses are fabulous. Their digital bodies are junk.



I have not touched a Leica since '65 and to tell you the truth, I think that absence was a mistake. Apart from anything else, I believe that the change in style of working an M when compared with an slr 35m would have given me a certain broadening of personal photo-look; not necessarily better pics but slightly different in the right circumstances.

As for an M9, well, were the lottery to work properly for once... I remember watching that interview that Michael had on here after his visit to Germany and the factory: I couldn't listen properly to the engineer because I simply could not take my gaze off the camera sitting there on the table. Lust takes many forms!

Rob C
Title: Re: For your Christmas list?
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on October 19, 2010, 03:54:03 pm
...I simply could not take my gaze off the camera sitting there on the table. Lust takes many forms!

Rob, looks like you got it all wrong: you are supposed to gaze with lust through the camera, not at it... especially with your calendar subjects. ;)