Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: natas on October 18, 2010, 06:52:50 pm

Title: HDR shot done in Colorado
Post by: natas on October 18, 2010, 06:52:50 pm
I was in colorado a few weeks back. I got some really great photos.

 took 3 exposures of this scene with the intentions of playing with HDR. I personally don't like the output here, in fact I prefer the properly exposed version of it better. This was done using Nik Software HDR plugin (downloaded the demo). What do you guys think. It looks neat, but in my opinion fake and the colors are weird. I rarely see a HDR picture I like, but hey it does produce some very interesting stuff.
(http://print.shuttershane.com/colorado/_MG_7709_HDR-Edit.jpg)
Title: Re: HDR shot done in Colorado
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on October 18, 2010, 07:10:53 pm
  :)
Title: Re: HDR shot done in Colorado
Post by: natas on October 18, 2010, 07:14:23 pm
I am glad you feel the same way as me. Yes it does have that "cool" factor to everyday people. I showed this to a few random people and they loved it. I also showed it to a few fellow photographers and only one of them liked it...the rest said exactly what I thought of the results.
Title: Re: HDR shot done in Colorado
Post by: normhead on October 18, 2010, 07:39:45 pm
I have some cool HDR images that were done manually in Photoshop using a masks. But the last few times, using Raw and then using the Shadow, Highlight, Burn and Dodge tools in Aperture produces a better and more natural looking result. I still bracket, but I bracket to be able to select the optimum exposure to work with, not to produce HDR images. And really, if I can get better results from a single Raw image, maybe HDR is one of those things that was a function of lack of development of digital technology, not something that is going to be always useful.
Title: Re: HDR shot done in Colorado
Post by: natas on October 18, 2010, 07:47:07 pm
I have some cool HDR images that were done manually in Photoshop using a masks. But the last few times, using Raw and then using the Shadow, Highlight, Burn and Dodge tools in Aperture produces a better and more natural looking result. I still bracket, but I bracket to be able to select the optimum exposure to work with, not to produce HDR images. And really, if I can get better results from a single Raw image, maybe HDR is one of those things that was a function of lack of development of digital technology, not something that is going to be always useful.

That's exactly what I do as well. In fact this shot with proper exposure looks better after I pulled the shadows and did a slight nd grad
Title: Re: HDR shot done in Colorado
Post by: usathyan on October 18, 2010, 08:44:44 pm
I am very curious as to why you presented your image here for reviews. You seem to indicate that you did not like it - but are presenting it because some other people liked it? Do you photograph for others (perfectly OK - as a commercial photographer) - or for yourself (as an artist or a true amateur - no, not a noob).

In any case - you seem to be agreeing with the person who is booing your work as well, but obviously expect people to encourage you to continue your experiments....

BTW - It is my belief that the tool you used (Nik) has nothing to do with the outputs....I think you can get the same results with any other HDR software as well....(Photomatix, HDR Expose, Oloneo etc etc....there are tons of these available now....)

My 2 cents.
Title: Re: HDR shot done in Colorado
Post by: natas on October 18, 2010, 09:35:54 pm
Actually the output from photomatix looks bettering my eyes...this was me just playing around with the new software fromnik and to experiment.

I posted this shot to see what other pros and non pros thought. Just pure curiosity really. I know some pros even enjoy hdr and some do it way better then I could even think of.

To answer your question about what I do with my work. I do sell prints, but my intentions are always to shoot for myself and shoot what I like. If the image sells well then that is a huge bonus for me
Title: Re: HDR shot done in Colorado
Post by: aduke on October 19, 2010, 02:20:18 am
It seems to me that there is something wrong with the tone-mapping. The sky is too light, as are the mountain peaks. The left bottom corner is also too light. It does not look normal.

I was in south-western Colorado a couple of weeks ago and the tree colors were just amazing, much as those in this image.

Alan
Title: Re: HDR shot done in Colorado
Post by: stamper on October 19, 2010, 03:02:28 am
Have you tried putting it through the tone mapping process again? How did you make your initial exposures? It could be you didn't do the process properly. I am not trying to deride you in anyway. The problem is in the last couple of months I have been trying HDR and have been frustrated with the results in PS5 so it is only right that you check that user input is right. I believe that there is enough detail in a properly processed raw to give results that can just about match a properly processed HDR. Now where is the tin hat? ;D 8) ::)
Title: Re: HDR shot done in Colorado
Post by: natas on October 19, 2010, 09:12:10 am
The mountain peaks are suppose to look that way...this is maroon bells. When you get there at sunrise the sun hits the mountains and creates this really neat look.

Everything below the red peaks are shadows. I think where I went wrong here in the processing is I pulled the shadows up to much.

There were no clouds in the sky the morning I took this photo :(
Title: Re: HDR shot done in Colorado
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on October 19, 2010, 10:40:05 am
Everything below the red peaks are shadows. I think where I went wrong here in the processing is I pulled the shadows up to much.
Most definitely. The trees in shadows look about as bright as the sunlit peaks. That kills it for me.

Eric
Title: Re: HDR shot done in Colorado
Post by: Chairman Bill on October 19, 2010, 01:56:53 pm
I got some really great photos.

Good. Let's see 'em  ;)