Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: BobDavid on October 15, 2010, 06:48:05 pm
-
I cannot seem to get rid of these indentations. I've tried adjusting suction, platen width, bi-directional vs uni-directional printing. Any thoughts???
-
It looks like a bad roll of paper.
Do you have the recommended media setting? I.e. Paper Feed Adjustment and Paper Thickness?
/Sven
-
The ridges do disappear after "baking" the prints in a dry mount press. But, I can't believe this is how this paper should be exiting the printer. The paper is not old and it looks fine until it runs through the printer. I've seen this more with the Epson 9900 than with the 9800.
-
Sometimes you don't see the unevenness in the paper before printing. I still believe in a bad batch for that roll.
Or, a last guess, maybe there's something wrong with your printers pressure-roll.
What about other, but similar, papers, or another roll of HBPR?
/Sven
-
I've had this problem with canvas. The only canvas that doesn't give me this problem is Epson Satin Premium Canvas, which is nice but horribly expensive. I think you've got a point about the pressure-roll. Is it possible to adjust it? I also think this is a bad batch, as I've encountered about three or four pimples on the emulsion side. I've had to reprint three 24" X 28" prints because of this. This is the first time I've encountered so many problems with a Hahnemuhle product.
I really do think that the 9900 is a lot more fussy with third-party media than previous Epson generations. I've just about switched all of my paper inventory over to Epson. I think my days of using Hahn Photo Rag Baryta are done once I get through the rest of my inventory. Which is really too bad, as I love this paper. I can't make the switch to Epson Exhibiton Fiber as I don't like working with alpha cellulose products. I have had good luck with Crane Museo Silver Rag, but I don't like it nearly as much as the Hahn product.
-
Strange....
I run a lot of Canson papers on the 9900 these days, booth with Pk and Mk. No problems.
Their Baryta (alpha-cell)is my absolutely favourite. It has only one downside; gloss-differential.
Also Platine Fibre (cotton) is a great paper, very similar to Crane Silver Rag.
/Sven