Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: jeremypayne on October 13, 2010, 11:44:38 pm

Title: Nice walk in the woods
Post by: jeremypayne on October 13, 2010, 11:44:38 pm
As part of my location scouting this past weekend, I finally ventured into the Great Mountain Forest looking for a body of water called Old Man McMullen Pond ... from the maps I had seen, it looked like it would be a nice spot ... It was.

I was feeling kinda abstract ... and here's some selects from the walk.  None from the pond as I decided it was probably more a sunrise kinda spot.


   
Title: Re: Nice walk in the woods
Post by: NikoJorj on October 14, 2010, 04:01:14 am
Great!
I'm especially fond of the colors and painterly-yet-real effect of the last one (VI), and of the textures and composition (the blurry foreground really fits well the image) of the V (should be nice printed a tad large, web compression may not do it justice).
Title: Re: Nice walk in the woods
Post by: shutterpup on October 14, 2010, 10:58:06 am
I too like the last one best. It rather suits my impressionist bent.
Title: Re: Nice walk in the woods
Post by: John R on October 14, 2010, 07:02:28 pm
Great!
I'm especially fond of the colors and painterly-yet-real effect of the last one (VI), and of the textures and composition (the blurry foreground really fits well the image) of the V (should be nice printed a tad large, web compression may not do it justice).
That last is very good IMO. As I said earlier, it is not that easy to distill what we see into a fine and aesthetically pleasing image. Especially autumn. This latter image also has an emotional appeal. Who has not lain down on the gras and looked through the trees?

With regard to the first three images, I think you will quickly learn that not everything we see or wish to achieve is possible with a lens. The many grey branches are simply too obtrusive to make those images work. But I certainly relate to what you were trying to accomplish.

JMR
Title: Re: Nice walk in the woods
Post by: jeremypayne on October 15, 2010, 07:44:40 am
Thanks, all!

I've been staring at small prints of these four images four a couple days.

#1- I like a lot ... But it won't make my "portfolio" ... But it will sit on the bench

#2- This one works for me.  There was a magical glow in the puddle in the woods that comes across in the print.   I'm not disturbed by the OOF branches on this one ...

#3- As John rightly points out ... Some images of the eye/mind just don't translate ... Ding.

#4-  This is a real winner.  The print looks spectacular and will look even better on A3.  I'm even considering a  24x36 on kodak metallic to hang in my "spot of honor" in the living room.  My wife allows me to hang "abstract" images there ... Nothing "realistic".  This suits and it is time to try and sell the one that has been hanging there for 3 years.
Title: Re: Nice walk in the woods
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on October 15, 2010, 11:28:38 am
Good choices. I agree with you on #2 and #4.

Eric