Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: John R on October 12, 2010, 08:23:40 pm

Title: Algonquin memories
Post by: John R on October 12, 2010, 08:23:40 pm
Spent a week around Algonquin Park area and stayed at Oxtongue lake, which some of you may know. I noticed a poster elsewhere on LL remarking that the colours in Maine were not that good this year. This was true of Algonquin also. Locals say it is because of a sudden extreme drop in temperature coupled with rain and high winds. Anyway, apart from the usual postcardy images, I managed many good experimental images. I was the only one complaining about the lack of some overcast weather! The hiking and walking was great. Here are some images. I decided to half-posterize two images and liked the outcome; they were inspired by many of the "group of seven" paintings I saw at the visiting arts centre.

JMR
Title: Re: Algonquin memories
Post by: shutterpup on October 12, 2010, 10:44:18 pm
I really like the first and the last one. As I experiment with my own photo making, I appreciate images like the first one all the more.
Title: Re: Algonquin memories
Post by: Lloyd Mayeda on October 13, 2010, 06:09:00 am
Thanks for sharing!  The third image is my favourite.
Title: Re: Algonquin memories
Post by: Justan on October 13, 2010, 08:40:11 am
John at some point you should really consider putting together a show. . .
Title: Re: Algonquin memories
Post by: shutterpup on October 13, 2010, 04:45:02 pm
John at some point you should really consider putting together a show. . .

I second that!
Title: Re: Algonquin memories
Post by: John R on October 14, 2010, 07:22:23 pm
I have been asked a few times. Too busy right now, but thinking about it. Many thanks for the feedback.

JMR
Title: Re: Algonquin memories
Post by: John R on October 16, 2010, 07:23:28 am
A few more before the colours wane and autumn begins to turn to winter!

JMR
Title: Re: Algonquin memories
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on October 16, 2010, 08:51:50 am
Three more good ones for the show!

Eric
Title: Re: Algonquin memories
Post by: RSL on October 16, 2010, 01:43:50 pm
John, Listen to these guys! Have you looked at the most recent copy of Color magazine that has 2010 portfolio contest winners in it? I more than half expected to see you in that issue. Come on, get off your duff and put a portfolio together.
Title: Re: Algonquin memories
Post by: shutterpup on October 16, 2010, 02:20:52 pm
Of your last three, I like #2 and #3 most. A small nit about #2 is the in focus red line in the left portion of the photo. My eye is instantly drawn to it, while the rest plays second fiddle; not right in my opinion. #3 is a delightful abstraction of fall colors.
Title: Re: Algonquin memories
Post by: John R on October 16, 2010, 06:16:05 pm
Of your last three, I like #2 and #3 most. A small nit about #2 is the in focus red line in the left portion of the photo. My eye is instantly drawn to it, while the rest plays second fiddle; not right in my opinion. #3 is a delightful abstraction of fall colors.
Thanks again everyone. Shutterpup, I scratched my head about that red and finally figured out what it is. I think it was a fishing lure in the water amid the leaves. Sigh...

JMR
Title: Re: Algonquin memories
Post by: John R on October 18, 2010, 10:02:35 am
Added last four. That's it for a long while. Going to High Park for one last visit and then into hibernation. Besides, in the last image, the leaves are on fire and burning up the rest of the forest!

JMR
Title: Re: Algonquin memories
Post by: shutterpup on October 18, 2010, 12:27:45 pm
John,
You continue to spark my own imagination! I would never have thought of taking a photo like your last #1 and converting it to black and white. I like the result. Makes me think of one of my own that I'll try it on.

All 4 of these last ones are wonderful but I think I like #s 3 and 4 best because of the motion inherent in the sweeping color.

Is your forest really on fire? Or was that just a comment on the way #4 turned out, which, either way, is spectacular.