Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: solardarkroom.com on October 12, 2010, 12:50:47 pm

Title: Creating your own photography book: So Many Choices...
Post by: solardarkroom.com on October 12, 2010, 12:50:47 pm
I'm interested in creating a book of my photography but can't decide which company to go with. I would be most intested in hearing your opinions and experiences. One of my first concerns is obviously quality and in particular if there's a reliable way of soft proofing. I'm also wondering about output sharpening with either PKS or Lightroom. Cost is a secondary concern to quality.

Thanks,

David
www.solardarkroom.com
Title: Re: Creating your own photography book: So Many Choices...
Post by: digitaldog on October 12, 2010, 12:56:24 pm
I suspect most of the books you’ll be looking at are digital on demand presses (Xeikon, Indigo etc) so you’ll probably want to use the Halftone output sharpening in PKS. LRs output sharpening is for screen or ink jet.

Soft proofing is very doable if you get the press profile. That’s the tricky part.
Title: Re: Creating your own photography book: So Many Choices...
Post by: solardarkroom.com on October 12, 2010, 04:50:52 pm
Thanks! I'll be looking for those shops that provide the profiles.
Title: Re: Creating your own photography book: So Many Choices...
Post by: larryg on October 13, 2010, 10:43:07 am
I just did a couple of books with Inkubook.com
http://inkubook.com/default.aspx

Surprisingly easy and the finished photo pages were very acceptible.  I got 2 for one   (two for $49.00)  with 40 images.


not too large an investment to see your work in print.


I would like to try zookbooks and others that have a higher quality binding.


let us know your selection and final experience with whoever you use.


Title: Re: Creating your own photography book: So Many Choices...
Post by: Roger Calixto on October 15, 2010, 06:42:29 am
Here in Europe CEWE (http://www.cewe-photobook.co.uk/) appears to be quite good. I've seen some books and they look great. You can get a page made of a single sheet of photo paper folded and glued to the next (A3, one half glued to the prev, one to the next making the book pages). You can get their pro software that has the ICC profiles.

{}
Roger
Title: Re: Creating your own photography book: So Many Choices...
Post by: AndrewKulin on October 15, 2010, 09:37:52 pm
I came across this article a few months ago.  Perhaps it might be of some use to you.

http://www.digitalhomethoughts.com/news/show/97676/14/1/15
Title: Re: Creating your own photography book: So Many Choices...
Post by: solardarkroom.com on October 18, 2010, 12:54:40 am
Thanks to everyone for chipping in. I did indeed check out the digitalhomethoughts.com roundup and right now I'm messing with mypublisher.com. The Mac application is actually pretty good compared to some javascript offerings I've seen. I've got a few more sites to check out and will report anything of potential interest.

Thanks!

David
Title: Re: Creating your own photography book: So Many Choices...
Post by: BFoto on October 18, 2010, 03:04:55 pm
I suspect most of the books you’ll be looking at are digital on demand presses (Xeikon, Indigo etc) so you’ll probably want to use the Halftone output sharpening in PKS. LRs output sharpening is for screen or ink jet.

Soft proofing is very doable if you get the press profile. That’s the tricky part.

Sound like a feature request for LR - halftone sharpening that is...oh and why not soft proofing!
Title: Re: Creating your own photography book: So Many Choices...
Post by: Jason Stacey on April 01, 2011, 01:34:42 am
Creating a photo book online is quite easier now a days with so many websites offering this service. However, before choosing any of the website, better is to check their reliability. I personally recommend Albelli as I am very much satisfied with the print quality and paper they offer. Prices are also reasonable.
Title: Re: Creating your own photography book: So Many Choices...
Post by: feppe on April 01, 2011, 02:05:01 pm
Creating a photo book online is quite easier now a days with so many websites offering this service. However, before choosing any of the website, better is to check their reliability. I personally recommend Albelli as I am very much satisfied with the print quality and paper they offer. Prices are also reasonable.

There's more and more blatant astroturfing going on here.
Title: Re: Creating your own photography book: So Many Choices...
Post by: solardarkroom.com on April 01, 2011, 04:49:15 pm
There's more and more blatant astroturfing going on here.

Astroturfing: Ok I'll admit I had to look that one up. I don't care to judge but I'm sure it goes on. That said, there was a moment I was accused of that offense here: I found an eSATA card reader that ingests my RAW files much faster than my FW800 reader and was sure everyone here would share in my enthusiasm. Unfortunately my excitement made me suspect and I felt like a chump for sharing. I sold the FW800 unit for 10 bucks and my super-cool eSATA reader is still going strong. I don't know anyone else using one.

But what does it matter? Apparently Judgment day is scheduled for May 21st...I'm having one last BBQ.

Cheers!