Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: henk on October 12, 2010, 07:50:52 am

Title: LR catalogue is growing with over 74000 photo’s
Post by: henk on October 12, 2010, 07:50:52 am
Hi,
At this moment LR has in the catalogue 74483 photo’s divided over 2 HD and is about 81 Gb with on average off 3 weekly backup. One in the system ( data HD ) with 23403photo’s, for projects on hand, and the other on an external HD with 51080 photo’s. I work in projects and whenever a project is finished, I move it after 6 months to the external HD. Although my system performance is good (with LR 3.2 I am not sure), I question my self if I should continue and let LR catalogue grow or if it is time to setup a new one and loosing the total overview of my work?
The photo’s are a mix from top, keepers and not rejected.

System. Win 7  64 bit, Intel i7 940, RAM 12 Gb, Video ATI fireGL V5600 512 Mb, OS HD WDC 300 Gb 10.000 rpm.

Is it time split or should I go on?

Henk
Title: Re: LR catalogue is growing with over 74000 photo’s
Post by: dtsiapas on October 12, 2010, 09:03:51 am
Right now I have 90628 photos in lightroom 3.2 and it still loads just fine. About 25000 photos are on external drive (usually offline). You could just create a new catalog and see if it goes faster. When i tried it i didn't see any actual benefit in speed.

Win7 64bit. Asus p5k and p5kc both with 8GB ram. HDs Seagate 1.5 TB and Caviar Black 2 TB.
Title: Re: LR catalogue is growing with over 74000 photo’s
Post by: john beardsworth on October 12, 2010, 01:28:47 pm
74000 is not that big - see http://forums.adobe.com/message/3172681#3172681- and I work closely with someone whose PC has similar specs to yours and has 5 times as many pictures. All that you'll achieve by splitting up your catalogue is dividing up control of your work and losing the overview that you currently have.

John
Title: Re: LR catalogue is growing with over 74000 photo’s
Post by: henk on October 12, 2010, 02:56:38 pm
Thanks John
Giving up the total overview is exactly why I am putting up this question. An other point is that I always have used the benefit of Keywords. When I want to see what pictures I have from Namibia, NP Etosha, Elephants, 2008, I will have them in 2 sec and know where they are. I will keep this Catalogue and just go on what I am doing.
Having 5 x 75K photo's will take a wile and by that time 1 Tb storage will be free with a Cappuccino at Starbucks.
Henk.