Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: Rob C on October 11, 2010, 02:52:28 pm
-
Making of...
http://www.taschen.com/pages/en/community/video/30311.helmut_newtons_sumo_part_1.htm
Rob C
-
Rob,
Thanks for sharing. I've seen that the local library has Sumo on display.
-
Thanks for sharing Rob,
This video reminds me a topic about the wife. Helmut's wife seemed to play a key role in his career.
We can't be at the oven and at the fire at the same time. Someone has to do the job.
Cheers.
-
Thanks for sharing Rob,
This video reminds me a topic about the wife. Helmut's wife seemed to play a key role in his career.
We can't be at the oven and at the fire at the same time. Someone has to do the job.
Cheers.
Oddly enough, that's one of the excuses I have been making since finding myself alone... a true artist would just elect to work and starve!
;-) or ;-(
Rob C
EDIT: the new, smaller Sumo is on sale at €99 - I am tempted by that, becaused I have never yet bought a Helmut book. Not that I didn't like him, just that I never liked the books until now. It is the same with Lindbergh: never liked any book I've looked at, but I do like his editorial... strange, that, when it must be the same thing.
-
…
EDIT: the new, smaller Sumo is on sale at €99 - I am tempted by that, becaused I have never yet bought a Helmut book.
…
Actually, it's the small version of the book that is also on sale here in Switzerland. Pricing is similar. They also have the original book but price was marked "on request" ;-)
-
Actually, it's the small version of the book that is also on sale here in Switzerland. Pricing is similar. They also have the original book but price was marked "on request" ;-)
No wonder; you need to add an extra room to the house to store it!
Rob C
-
I pre-ordered this book and canceled the order when i decided to move. The $1500 pre release price seems dirt cheap now, I'm still kicking myself.
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_trkparms=65%253A10%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1&rt=nc&_nkw=newton+sumo&_sticky=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=3&_sc=1
A few years ago i bought this very large book from Taschen and it's almost sold out at $4000 (current). I love Araki's work.
http://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/photography/all/02603/facts.araki.htm
-
I pre-ordered this book and canceled the order when i decided to move. The $1500 pre release price seems dirt cheap now, I'm still kicking myself.
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_trkparms=65%253A10%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1&rt=nc&_nkw=newton+sumo&_sticky=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=3&_sc=1
You can as $30k for a pencil if you're so inclined, but one would be a fool to pay that. The highest a full-sized Sumo has sold recently was $3k (http://cgi.ebay.com/Helmut-Newtons-Sumo-Helmut-Newton-COMES-XSTAND-/110591168158?pt=US_Nonfiction_Book) (with stand) - and the buyer claims fraud on eBay feedback. Still a nice return on investment.
-
You can as $30k for a pencil if you're so inclined, but one would be a fool to pay that. The highest a full-sized Sumo has sold recently was $3k (http://cgi.ebay.com/Helmut-Newtons-Sumo-Helmut-Newton-COMES-XSTAND-/110591168158?pt=US_Nonfiction_Book) (with stand) - and the buyer claims fraud on eBay feedback. Still a nice return on investment.
I like your idea about pencils, feppe; maybe time for another website!
Rob C
-
I like your idea about pencils, feppe; maybe time for another website!
Rob C
To save others googling: world's most expensive pencil (http://most-expensive.net/pencil). Not even close to $30k - meh.
-
To save others googling: world's most expensive pencil (http://most-expensive.net/pencil). Not even close to $30k - meh.
But that's where they went wrong with their pencil: they tried to make it look expensive.
The pile of bricks in the Tate were real, unadorned brick, and it was worth more than that then, so allowing for inflation, there's still more money in bricks... who said the property market was doomed?
Rob C
-
I believe Taschen sold numbers 9000 to 10000 for $5000
-
I believe Taschen sold numbers 9000 to 10000 for $5000
Amd there lies the truth that was put into the open by dear old Paul Simon: One man's ceiling is another man's floor.
Why do we generally refuse to remember that in so many different threads?
Rob C