Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: pflower on October 11, 2010, 02:25:30 pm

Title: Settings for Adjustment Brushes/Gradient Filter
Post by: pflower on October 11, 2010, 02:25:30 pm
I can't work out how the settings for the gradient filter and adjustment brush in LR3 originate.  Whenever I open the gradient filter it comes up with a custom setting of Exposure + .33 and sharpening of + 40.  Presumably this is a setting which I set at some point when I was using it.  However if I then change this to something completely different (say exposure - .50) the name of filter is still gradient.  I exit the filter and then go onto another image and open the filter again and it is still stuck on the first settings - i.e. +.33. In other words it does not "remember" the last setting used but seems to revert to some earlier setting.  I can, of course, save my new settings as a new preset, but when working on a whole range of images which require similar adjustments it would be nice to be able to open the filter with the last settings active.

Am I missing some obvious way of working with this?

Thanks

Title: Re: Settings for Adjustment Brushes/Gradient Filter
Post by: NikoJorj on October 11, 2010, 02:50:59 pm
Just thinking out loud... but isn't it the last brush/gradient preset recorded?
Title: Re: Settings for Adjustment Brushes/Gradient Filter
Post by: pflower on October 11, 2010, 03:57:32 pm
That was my thought.  But it doesn't appear to be.  But perhaps I am not understanding the logic behind this and therefore missing out a step which would save the last adjustment as the "default" for the next use of the tool.

Title: Re: Settings for Adjustment Brushes/Gradient Filter
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on October 11, 2010, 06:56:42 pm
... In other words it does not "remember" the last setting used but seems to revert to some earlier setting...

The critical word above is "used"... the way you described it, looks like you just prepared the gradient for using, but did not actually use it before moving to the next image. Try to use it first and I am sure you would notice that LR does remember the last used setting.
Title: Re: Settings for Adjustment Brushes/Gradient Filter
Post by: aduke on October 11, 2010, 07:17:17 pm
It seems to me that LR remembers the last settings made between the time the Brush/Gradient tool was selected and the time a pin was set as the default. It also seems that the A, B and Erase brush settings work the same way.

Alan
Title: Re: Settings for Adjustment Brushes/Gradient Filter
Post by: Kirk Gittings on October 11, 2010, 07:34:18 pm
"LR does remember the last used setting"


I use this almost everyday and my copy of LR3 DOES NOT remember the last settings used. It will remember one and then for the next twenty or so uses it will still remember the settings from 20 uses ago and then abruptly remember the most recent one. It is totally schizo.
.
Title: Re: Settings for Adjustment Brushes/Gradient Filter
Post by: stamper on October 12, 2010, 04:20:47 am
I have been using this feature in ACR 6.2. I assume they are the same???? If not I am sure someone will tell me. If so then in ACR the default setting that Adobe created comes up every time and not the last one. In ACR I have everything zerod out as a preset and when I open it it is the same except for the Adjustment brush. Frustrating! At the risk of being OTT does any one know if the adjustment brush method was based on Viveza 2 which I use. If so then I find Adobe's implementation a little primitive in comparison with Viveza. The advantage is you are working on the raw data instead of the pixels. I find Viveza 2 more flexible and gives better results but of course it costs more money. Anyone who likes the adjustment brush method should look at Viveza. The usual caveat is that I have no connection with Nikon but I am open to offers. ;)
Title: Re: Settings for Adjustment Brushes/Gradient Filter
Post by: John R Smith on October 12, 2010, 04:56:07 am
Whether it be the Brush or the Grad, the following works for me -

Make the adjustment, using whatever combination of settings you wish. Click on NEW. Reset all the sliders to zero with a double click. Close the tool (click on the DONE button at the bottom of the screen).

Next time I go to the Brush or the Grad, all settings are on zero.

John
Title: Re: Settings for Adjustment Brushes/Gradient Filter
Post by: stamper on October 12, 2010, 05:04:36 am
Whether it be the Brush or the Grad, the following works for me -

Make the adjustment, using whatever combination of settings you wish. Click on NEW. Reset all the sliders to zero with a double click. Close the tool (click on the DONE button at the bottom of the screen).

Next time I go to the Brush or the Grad, all settings are on zero.

John

After using it do you have to do the same procedure again in order to open the adjustment/gradient with everything at zero?

I have just tried this in ACR and indeed it does work. With the rest of the settings on Windows you can press ALT + cancel/reset and the sliders reset to the initial settings but unfortunately this procedure doesn't work with the sliders in the adjustment brush or am I missing something?
Title: Re: Settings for Adjustment Brushes/Gradient Filter
Post by: John R Smith on October 12, 2010, 05:20:03 am
After using it do you have to do the same procedure again in order to open the adjustment/gradient with everything at zero?

I have just tried this in ACR and indeed it does work. With the rest of the settings on Windows you can press ALT + cancel/reset and the sliders reset to the initial settings but unfortunately this procedure doesn't work with the sliders in the adjustment brush or am I missing something?

Yes, I go through this routine each time I use the brush or grad. I like to start my editing knowing that everything is zeroed. In my Win 7 setup, at any rate, I have to double-click each slider to reset it (I think). But I might be missing something, too . . . . I am at work now, so I can't check this.

John