Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: Simon Withington on October 11, 2010, 12:38:03 pm

Title: Noise reduction in LR3 - difference in viewing between Develop & Library modules
Post by: Simon Withington on October 11, 2010, 12:38:03 pm
Hi

I've noticed something strange in LR3.  When I apply Noise Reduction to an image in the Develop module, the effect is a lot more apparent when I view the image in Loupe view in the Library module, than it is when applying the effect in Develop.  For example, I may apply some Noise Reduction, and be happy that the effect has not 'softened' the image too much - I then go back to the Library module and view the image, only to find that the image is really smooth and has clearly had too much NR applied.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Si
Title: Re: Noise reduction in LR3 - difference in viewing between Develop & Library modules
Post by: Schewe on October 11, 2010, 01:17:57 pm
Any thoughts?

The only accurate way of judging noise reduction or sharpening is at 1:1 in Develop...the "previews" shown in Library (particularly if not 1:1) are inaccurate and should not be used for judging the noise reduction or sharpening settings.
Title: Re: Noise reduction in LR3 - difference in viewing between Develop & Library modules
Post by: Lost on October 11, 2010, 03:11:55 pm
On the Mac version there are definitely some shortcuts in rendering images at less than 1:1.

Quite often in the loupe view set to zoom as 'fit' (about 50% scale) I will see sky areas that look have an unbelievable level of coarse chrominance noise. If I click to zoom-in and view at 100%, the noise magically dissapears, and usually there is less noise present at a per-pixel level than there appeared to be zoomed out.

The important thing is that exported or printed images are fine, though I wish Adobe would clean this up (and not make the program any slower in doing so...).