Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Glenn Bartley on October 06, 2010, 12:50:24 pm

Title: Northern Saw-whet Owl
Post by: Glenn Bartley on October 06, 2010, 12:50:24 pm
I had a very neat opportunity the other night to photograph this cute little owl. I havent seen too many shots of this species at night so I thought I'd post this one.

All the best!

Glenn

(http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/3089/northernsawwhetowl02.jpg)

Camera Model: Canon EOS 7D
Shutter speed: 1/60 sec
Aperture: 14
Exposure mode: Manual
Flash: On - 2 flashes off camera
ISO: 400
Focal length: 300mm f/4 IS
Title: Re: Northern Saw-whet Owl
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on October 06, 2010, 01:36:52 pm
That is one striking graphical representation! I think it would be even stronger if the upper twig is removed, either by cropping or cloning.
Title: Re: Northern Saw-whet Owl
Post by: Lonnie Utah on October 06, 2010, 01:58:39 pm
That is one striking graphical representation! I think it would be even stronger if the upper twig is removed, either by cropping or cloning.

Agreed.  Great capture.  My roomate in grad school worked on Saw-whets...
Title: Re: Northern Saw-whet Owl
Post by: slrlounge on October 06, 2010, 08:12:28 pm
amazing shot!
Title: Re: Northern Saw-whet Owl
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on October 07, 2010, 04:22:26 am
That is one striking graphical representation! I think it would be even stronger if the upper twig is removed, either by cropping or cloning.
It is indeed a stunning shot. I disagree about the upper branch (it looks a bit big to be described as a twig!). I think it frames the subject rather nicely.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Northern Saw-whet Owl
Post by: JohnKoerner on October 07, 2010, 11:12:12 am
I agree with the above. The branch (not twig) frames the subject; otherwise there'd be too much dead space and not enough owl.

Jack




.
Title: Re: Northern Saw-whet Owl
Post by: DuncanAndison on October 11, 2010, 03:53:34 pm
That is a c=very striking shot, really good!
Title: Re: Northern Saw-whet Owl
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 23, 2011, 03:28:13 pm
Another great shot. I agree with Jeremy and John: Leave the upper branch in.

Eric
Title: Re: Northern Saw-whet Owl
Post by: kenben on February 26, 2011, 07:35:21 am
This is a great shot.