Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Ifocus4u on September 30, 2010, 07:05:07 pm

Title: No One Is Home
Post by: Ifocus4u on September 30, 2010, 07:05:07 pm
A different angle.  HDR'd.  All comments and suggestions for improvement are welcome.

(http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4128/5026739686_315a70a7d3_o.jpg)
Title: Re: No One Is Home
Post by: marcmccalmont on September 30, 2010, 08:17:29 pm
Love it! I really like the over the top HDR, surrealistic look
I've never been successful at that. Do you have any pointers/techniques you could share?
Marc
Title: Re: No One Is Home
Post by: Joe Behar on September 30, 2010, 08:33:07 pm
I'll let Ifocus4u reply but if you're interested in this effect you can have a look at more here...

http://gallery.me.com/joebehar

This is a project I've been working on for a couple of years now.
Title: Re: No One Is Home
Post by: Ifocus4u on September 30, 2010, 08:34:04 pm
Thanks Marc.  I'm pleased you like it.  I take 5 different exposures and hope the clouds stay still.  I got lucky this day.  I use Photomatix to do my tonal mapping.  I experiment with the tonal values until I have it just right.  Sometimes it can take a while.  I then save my settings incase they come in handy on another shot for later...very important to save your successful settings.... ;)  I then take the image to Photoshop and work on bringing up any flat tonal areas or patch fixes if needed.  I find HDR work flattens most images tonally so need to be worked a bit in Photoshop or whatever software you use.  I find it takes a lot of fiddling around to find what "you" like.  I like Photomatix because it does "not" do the work for you... like Topaz does...and you can develop your own skill set.  I look forward to seeing a shot you have done.  Hope this helps.   :)
Title: Re: No One Is Home
Post by: marcmccalmont on September 30, 2010, 08:51:01 pm
I'll let Ifocus4u reply but if you're interested in this effect you can have a look at more here...

http://gallery.me.com/joebehar

This is a project I've been working on for a couple of years now.

Notre Dame Final is my favorite, stunning! a skill set I must learn
Marc
Title: Re: No One Is Home
Post by: larryg on October 01, 2010, 10:43:47 am
great subject.

I like this image.

I like the other one even more, that was much closer with more detail in the building.
Title: Re: No One Is Home
Post by: Ifocus4u on October 04, 2010, 03:34:20 pm
great subject.
I like this image.
I like the other one even more, that was much closer with more detail in the building.

Thanks Larry...its always nice hearing from you.   :)
Title: Re: No One Is Home
Post by: EduPerez on October 06, 2010, 04:50:14 am
The "HDR-effect" looks good (if you like that sort of think, obviously) on the house and the lowest part of the image; but I find the sky way too obvious and distracting. Just my two cents.
Title: Re: No One Is Home
Post by: Ifocus4u on October 21, 2010, 11:24:35 am
I understand how the sky can seem overpowering... I did a B&W version which I prefer.  I didn't notice this in the colour shot but once it was changed to B&W...the top window became really noticeable.  It looks like someone turned on a light.  Spooky.  Here is the B&W version.

(http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4130/5029994740_c33d304cd9_z.jpg)
Title: Re: No One Is Home
Post by: stamper on October 21, 2010, 11:33:26 am
I think it lacks contrast. Try lightening the whites to give it a bit more pop.
Title: Re: No One Is Home
Post by: Ifocus4u on October 21, 2010, 11:36:31 am
I think it lacks contrast. Try lightening the whites to give it a bit more pop.

Thanks Stamper.. I will certainly give it a try and will repost soon.  Suggestions are always appreciated.  ;D