Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: pegelli on September 27, 2010, 06:01:14 am

Title: Cliche or OK?
Post by: pegelli on September 27, 2010, 06:01:14 am
I've recently been looking through my archives and came across this shot in Venice from 2007.
Basically I think every point there must have been photographed from all angles.

Still thought this one was interesting, mainly due to the strong backlight, so converted it to B&W for some additional impact.
What do you guys think, OK or still too much cliche?

(http://pegelli.smugmug.com/Other/200708/PEG00250120070803/1023035733_5SBJ6-XL.jpg)
KonicaMinolta 5D + KM24-105/3.5-4.5D
Title: Re: Cliche or OK?
Post by: Josh-H on September 27, 2010, 06:20:06 am
I like it - There is a lot going on in the frame, but its all interesting and there is order amidst the chaos.  Works for me.
Title: Re: Cliche or OK?
Post by: Dick Roadnight on September 27, 2010, 06:41:48 am
Nice...

I am wondering how much you would have to do to it to make it look 1807?
Title: Re: Cliche or OK?
Post by: stamper on September 27, 2010, 07:08:43 am
I don't think photography was invented then? ;D
Title: Re: Cliche or OK?
Post by: wolfnowl on September 27, 2010, 11:48:16 am
I like it... and I also thought it looked like it was made in an 'earlier time'.

Mike.
Title: Re: Cliche or OK?
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on September 27, 2010, 12:28:39 pm
Works for me.
Nice composition.
I like it.
Title: Re: Cliche or OK?
Post by: RSL on September 27, 2010, 12:56:10 pm
Pegelli, It's a good shot, well composed. I agree with Mike. It looks as if it comes from an earlier time, except for the two girls on the pier. They wouldn't have been able to dress that way in an earlier time. An earlier time must have been pretty dull.
Title: Re: Cliche or OK?
Post by: pegelli on September 29, 2010, 06:45:28 am
Thanks for taking the time to look and comment.
Agree it does have some aspects of a timeless feel, but as I'm not too much into photoshop (except for the occasional cloning out of a beercan in a meadow) I won't do any work to change the ladies and gentlemens dresses in this shot. ;)
Title: Re: Cliche or OK?
Post by: kbolin on September 30, 2010, 12:06:55 am
It totally works... only because it's B&W.  Great job!