Luminous Landscape Forum

Site & Board Matters => About This Site => Topic started by: Patricia Sheley on September 26, 2010, 08:02:23 pm

Title: Re: "Fall Begins"
Post by: Patricia Sheley on September 26, 2010, 08:02:23 pm
I'm liking that A LOT!!!!  Feel like I've just stepped into one of my favorite galleries in the south of France...
Title: Re: "Fall Begins"
Post by: Rob C on September 27, 2010, 04:47:00 am
I'm liking that A LOT!!!!  Feel like I've just stepped into one of my favorite galleries in the south of France...


Quite; or are just about to tumble headlong into the Dordogne or, worse, are suffering the effects of too many little Ricards in the morning.

Actually, it (the picture) epitomises the sort of landscape photography that appeals to me most, that I would love to try did I not live in a quasi-desert. Which I also like, but which doesn't offer - that I can see - much in the way of free water. Yep, a couple of reservoirs up in the mountains, also gulches that are weed-strewn barren rock most of the year and then torrents for a few days when it pours. But fences, fences and ever more fences. Originally there were very few - say thirty years ago - but legislation was brought in to force landowners to erect them...

Reminds me of Scotland: during the late 70s I remember driving through miles of Argyle loooking for places to park that would allow a fashion shoot to be done at some time in the future. It never happened out in nature (in Argyle) - the best I found was in some spots much closer to home around Loch Lomond, itself quite difficult for such work. Balmaha was good - I think Stamper and I chatted about it a year or so ago. Lake of Monteith, too, had some spots you could use if you didn't mind climbing into private property. Oh to be young and accompanied by pretty women: you are forgiven anything.

Fred, if you read this: have you been to Lake Salagou? What did you think of it, if you did go there? I have it on hold, as with so much...

Rob C
Title: Re: "Fall Begins"
Post by: fredjeang on September 27, 2010, 08:06:36 am

Fred, if you read this: have you been to Lake Salagou? What did you think of it, if you did go there? I have it on hold, as with so much...

Rob C

Hi Rob,

No I have not been there. I was studding very close, in Nîmes and had a friend from the area where I stopped one day but didn't go to the lake.
It is a gorgeous area really.

Be carefull if you go in the winter because of the mistral wind. When it blows, it is damn serious and pretty cold. Climate is normally warmish.

Cheers.
Title: Re: "Fall Begins"
Post by: ysengrain on September 30, 2010, 05:38:33 am
I feel this picture as a Claude Monet painting e.g. les Nymphéas http://www.google.fr/images?um=1&hl=fr&safe=off&tbs=isch:1&q=nymphéas+monet&revid=255788423&sa=X&ei=2lqkTO_SGMGBswaq1pmrCA&ved=0CB8Q1QIoAA (http://www.google.fr/images?um=1&hl=fr&safe=off&tbs=isch:1&q=nymphéas+monet&revid=255788423&sa=X&ei=2lqkTO_SGMGBswaq1pmrCA&ved=0CB8Q1QIoAA)
Title: Re: "Fall Begins"
Post by: Rob C on October 01, 2010, 04:36:11 pm
Francis Annet. He's a photographer in Sarlat who has a shop there where he sells his reproductions, books and original prints.

Based there, in the Dordogne area, his books often include images of the river that have that atmosphere. We bought several books over our trips through the area, as well as three pix that still grace the bedroom wall. What a beautiful country France really is. Pity about the ferry to get to the Spanish mainland, though; a hell of a disincentive to travel off the islands by car, whilst still something that cuts both ways and protects the Balearics somewhat.

C'est la vie!

Rob C