Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: ttidball on September 24, 2010, 12:25:32 pm
-
I am setting up an i5 Mac... was able to transfer Lightroom program thru file sharing from previous macbook, but no edited files were transferred, only the program. How can I retrieve the edited pix to the new computer? thanks, Tom T
-
If your new computer will have the images in the same directory structure as the old one, you should be able to move the images to the same folder on the new computer w/o problems using whatever method you like, i.e. cable, network or USB drive for example. Make sure you copy any associated metadata files with the images (.xmp files for example). Worst case scenario you'll have to 'relink' the images with the catalogue, but you can do that from the root image directory (or directories) and it will cascade down into subfolders as well.
Mike.
-
I managed to transfer all my edited files, but none of the thumbnail pix show up in lightroom...only the info and history of previous edits made. The boxes are all gray. Are the thumbnails in another location?
-
If you've got gray boxes in Grid view you need to redo your monitor profile. It is a new computer, yes?
Mike.
-
Yes, new computer, Mike...will try that. Thanks for hanging with me so far.
Tom
-
In redoing my monitor profile on the new computer, is the goal to 'match' the previous laptop I was using or what? And if done properly, should that reveal the profile images in LR which are now just gray boxes?
Tom
-
The profiling is handled by the 'puck' and software, so it should be at least similar to your old computer. Every screen is different, though. There are others here who can talk about this much better than me. As to the 'gray boxes', my understanding is that since Lightroom is working in a colour-managed environment, without a proper profile it can't display the images so it simply displays placeholders. I had the same problem, and this was the solution suggested by someone else here.
Mike.
-
Mike,
Can you explain more about this process? I am trying to do the same having purchased an iMac but still retaining the Macbook Pro. I have downloaded a new copy of LR3 to the iMac. The photos have been copied into the exact same file structure. Is there any way of copying the library/catalogue files that contains the editing that I carried out on the laptop? Thanks.
-
Hi There:
Since you've installed Lightroom on your new computer you don't have to worry about the software itself. That leaves the catalogue(s) and the images. It sounds like you've copied the images to the new computer as well, so that just leaves the catalogue. I'm not a Mac user so I don't know where on the HD the Lightroom catalogue(s) are stored, but Finder should be able to find it (them) for you by searching for .lrcat files. I have Lightroom set up to store my catalogues in the Pictures folder (that's an option under Lightroom Preferences), so I know where they are. Anyway, for each catalogue you'll probably have a separate sub-directory, such as Lightroom/Lightroom 3 Catalog. There will also be a previews folder, which may be separate or may be within the first subfolder - don't use Mac. It will look something like Lightroom 3 Catalog Previews.lrdata You can just copy the .lrcat folder to the new computer but you'll have to generate new previews if you do, or you can copy the .lrcat file and the previews. Finally, you should also have a Lightroom Backups folder which will contain the catalog backups you've done. Again, only necessary if you need them.
Once you've copied the file(s) over to the new computer, hold down the Opt key when starting Lightroom and it will ask you which catalog you want to open. You can point it to the catalog you've just copied over.
Mike.
-
Thanks Mike, this worked perfectly.
-
thanks from me too, Mike. I finally managed to get hooked up...
One more question. I realized I have been storing all my backups and they are accumulating space. What do you advise as far as keeping backups in the folder. Is it OK to delete the old ones? Should you keep a few?
thanks again for the help...much appreciated,
Tom
-
Mike,
Once I copied the Previews.Irdata and the Catalog.Ircat files, I got all the thumbnails to show images in the boxes, but couldn't see any histograms until I transferred the Backups folder. Question is, do I need to copy all of the backups over or just the latest. I guess I'm a little confused about the backups. Do they update the most recent additions or do the most recent updates consolidate all of them, in which case, seems I could delete the oldies...Please let me know how these backups work. Thanks,
Tom
-
Hi Tom: I'd suggest you read this: http://www.wolfnowl.com/2010/05/deleting-old-lightroom-backups/
Mike.
-
thanks once again, Mike... very helpful, although I wish you were a Mac guy ;D