Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Chairman Bill on September 22, 2010, 01:04:21 pm

Title: Local farm
Post by: Chairman Bill on September 22, 2010, 01:04:21 pm
Two photos from Monday evening. I'm quite happy with both, though I'm not sure about the composition of the copse shot. The farm building & tree - this is more difficult; I don't know quite what it is that I like about this one. Maybe it's the light on the wood & straw bales. Not sure. Comments welcome.
Title: Re: Local farm
Post by: Lost on September 22, 2010, 02:22:06 pm
I quite like the first one - the sky is quite nice, but this is slightly lost in the exposure. If I were processing, I might be inclined to try darkening the sky a little, perhaps boosting its contrast slightly.

Have you tried printing either of these? I think that printed B&W often looks very different from what I generally see on my (rather uncallibrated) screen.
Title: Re: Local farm
Post by: sailronin on September 22, 2010, 03:54:51 pm
Both seem to be a bit flat, could use some more contrast.  Composition is pleasing and subject is interesting.
Title: Re: Local farm
Post by: Dale Villeponteaux on September 22, 2010, 04:03:37 pm
I like number 2, but agree it is rather flat.  I think it is more dramatic with darkened midtones rather than increase in contrast.

My 1/2 farthing.
Dale