Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: tom b on September 21, 2010, 09:05:59 pm

Title: Cropping in Photoshop CS5
Post by: tom b on September 21, 2010, 09:05:59 pm
I've just been upgraded to CS5 at work and I note that the cropping tool has rule of thirds guides on it. Now what I want to know is this just brilliant thinking or the work of the devil?

Cheers,
Title: Re: Cropping in Photoshop CS5
Post by: Wayne Fox on September 22, 2010, 12:54:07 pm
I've just been upgraded to CS5 at work and I note that the cropping tool has rule of thirds guides on it. Now what I want to know is this just brilliant thinking or the work of the devil?

Cheers,
If you are like me and don't use the rule of thirds but other guidelines you can select the popup and disable it, or turn on a normal grid.  Lightroom offers the Golden Ratio which is my preferred guideline in subject placement (from some graphic design training in college, non-photography related) , but Photoshop doesn't.
Title: Re: Cropping in Photoshop CS5
Post by: tom b on September 23, 2010, 12:48:04 am
Just waiting for Russ to say it's the work of the devil!

Cheers,
Title: Re: Cropping in Photoshop CS5
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on September 23, 2010, 11:40:04 am
Just waiting for Russ to say it's the work of the devil!

Cheers,

I think Russ uses a customized version of PS that doesn't have a cropping tool at all!

Eric
Title: Re: Cropping in Photoshop CS5
Post by: Dick Roadnight on September 23, 2010, 12:22:06 pm
I've just been upgraded to CS5 at work and I note that the cropping tool has rule of thirds guides on it. Now what I want to know is this just brilliant thinking or the work of the devil?

Cheers,
I thought that you could create you own overlays for any purpose - ¿like perspective guides for inserting a missing building in a street?

But I was thinking of phocus... so you can adjust the movements of a P3 to give the "right" perspective for a building ...so that you can drop it into another street without having to distort it!