Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Camera Raw Q&A => Topic started by: Dinarius on September 19, 2010, 05:46:27 am

Title: Canon 50mm F2.5 Macro lens - Anyone have a profile for this lens?
Post by: Dinarius on September 19, 2010, 05:46:27 am
Since Adobe haven't yet bothered to incorporate a profile for this very popular lens into ACR, I am wondering if anyone has created a custom one that they are happy with?

Thanks.

D.

ps. Canon please take note. This lens is popular, but it's far from top notch. The lack of an L-Series macro in the 50-60mm range is telling to put it mildly. Nikon are better in this regard.
Title: Re: Canon 50mm F2.5 Macro lens - Anyone have a profile for this lens?
Post by: Patricia Sheley on September 21, 2010, 08:51:27 pm
I think that in LR3 you can build your own profile  with Adobe Lens profile Creator... check at  www.labs.adobe.com
Title: Re: Canon 50mm F2.5 Macro lens - Anyone have a profile for this lens?
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on September 21, 2010, 08:57:28 pm
Out of curiosity, which exactly problem are you expecting to solve with a profile?
Title: Re: Canon 50mm F2.5 Macro lens - Anyone have a profile for this lens?
Post by: Dinarius on September 25, 2010, 05:08:04 am
Out of curiosity, which exactly problem are you expecting to solve with a profile?

The same problems as any profile solves, pricipally, vignetting, distortion and chomatic aberration.

This lens exhibits all three to a greater or lesser degree and I'd like to be able to fix them with just the click of a mouse. It's a pain having to do it manually. The profile for the 17-35mm zoom is superb.

I use the lens for fine art documentation, so performance is paramount. That's why a 50-60mm macro that was optically on a par with, say, the 90mm TSE (probably the best lens I've ever owned for any camera - Sinar, Hasselblad (film and digital), Mamiya and Olympus included) would be a great addition to the lineup. Though I accept that we're in fairly low interest territory here  :)

D.
Title: Re: Canon 50mm F2.5 Macro lens - Anyone have a profile for this lens?
Post by: jpassaneau on September 25, 2010, 09:26:30 pm
I assume that you have a full frame camera as Cannon has a very good 60mm macro for the cropped sensor cameras. I looked at making my own lens profile and it's not a simple process and it looks like it has a number of places to screw up. I'm still going to try it sometime though. Have you though of using a 100mm macro. The Cannon one is very good and has no major faults. It would give you more working room for lights.


John Passaneau
Title: Re: Canon 50mm F2.5 Macro lens - Anyone have a profile for this lens?
Post by: Dinarius on September 27, 2010, 05:00:45 am
Hi John,

Yes, I'm using the 1Ds Mklll.

I also have the 100mm macro. But, the size of the objects I'm shooting means I have to use the 50mm almost all the time.

D.