Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: dgberg on September 19, 2010, 04:59:01 am

Title: How do you view DNG thumbnails before importing to Lightroom?
Post by: dgberg on September 19, 2010, 04:59:01 am
I do not convert to DNG,s myself so this is probably why I do not know the answer on this one.
I have several guys bringing images to me for printing. All DNG,s.
They have 50 images on the stick drive and they want 2 printed.
Lightroom reads those DNG after import and views them no problem.
What I want to do is view the thumbnails before import so I can just import the 2 images.
Just has to be something I'm missing?
Title: Re: How do you view DNG thumbnails before importing to Lightroom?
Post by: john beardsworth on September 19, 2010, 05:38:27 am
In LR3, the import dialog has a loupe view. I'd recommend though importing all files, and then reviewing them afterwards.
Title: Re: How do you view DNG thumbnails before importing to Lightroom?
Post by: dgberg on September 19, 2010, 06:13:58 am
I know if you import them in to LR you can see them but this guy shows up with folders full of DNG,s and wants to pick maybe 1 or 2. I go to his folder on my desktop outside of Lightroom to pick 1 photo to send to CS5, same problem cannot see a thing. The other day I asked him to trash his DNG, (He's a friend)
just because its such a pain!
Title: Re: How do you view DNG thumbnails before importing to Lightroom?
Post by: john beardsworth on September 19, 2010, 07:07:41 am
What is he using to save his DNGs? Are they direct from camera, or maybe he's saved them in LR/ACR without a preview.
Title: Re: How do you view DNG thumbnails before importing to Lightroom?
Post by: dgberg on September 19, 2010, 08:39:44 am
John,
That could be it. he's saving them out of Lightroom. If he checks the preference box to show preview,that should make them vievable at all times?
Title: Re: How do you view DNG thumbnails before importing to Lightroom?
Post by: john beardsworth on September 19, 2010, 08:44:04 am
It's not a checkbox to show a preview but to write one into the DNG. If that's set to none, changing it could clear up the problem. I assume you are using LR3 and the Loupe view in the new Import dialog.
Title: Re: How do you view DNG thumbnails before importing to Lightroom?
Post by: dgberg on September 19, 2010, 09:58:47 am
Yes LR3 and Loupe view. Mine is set right (I think) it's his that I cannot view outside of LR.