Luminous Landscape Forum

Site & Board Matters => About This Site => Topic started by: bjanes on September 18, 2010, 11:05:47 am

Title: New forum software is driving me crazy!
Post by: bjanes on September 18, 2010, 11:05:47 am
Perhaps I don't know how to use the new hosting software on this forum, but the apparent lack of previously available features is driving me crazy. For Example, one could previously upload an image to the forum and have it appear as a thumbnail in the post. In the new software, the insert image icon merely enables placing a link to an image uploaded elsewhere in the post. Apparently, one has to upload images to another site and then link them in the post.

Also, the insert hyperlink icon merely inserts the URL into the post and does not allow a tag. Clicking on help take you to a help page apparently from the software developer, and features available in this forum are not addressed.

Are other users experiencing similar frustration?

Bill
Title: Re: New forum software is driving me crazy!
Post by: mguertin on September 18, 2010, 11:43:59 am
For details on how to upload an image please ready the pinned post here: New Forum Tips (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=45410.0)

For the URL's I think this is what you're after .. here's the syntax I used in the above url post:

[url=http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=45410.0]New Forum Tips[/url]

Also, just to let you know, the help page does specifically address this forum software and is fairly comprehensive -- we don't really have any additional features (at this date) that are not part of the main forum software.  Answers to both of these questions are available within the help area (plus a whole lore more useful info).
Title: Re: New forum software is driving me crazy!
Post by: bjanes on September 18, 2010, 12:44:52 pm
For details on how to upload an image please ready the pinned post here: New Forum Tips (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=45410.0)

For the URL's I think this is what you're after .. here's the syntax I used in the above url post:

[url=http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=45410.0]New Forum Tips[/url]


Mark,

Thanks for the info. The hyperlink tag insertion that you describe is rather cumbersome. The old method was much easier: click on the hyperlink button, past in the URL and then add the text tag in the box. The additional options does allow easy uploading of images, but I was looking in the wrong place.

Regards,

Bill
Title: Re: New forum software is driving me crazy!
Post by: feppe on September 18, 2010, 03:32:07 pm
Thanks for the info. The hyperlink tag insertion that you describe is rather cumbersome.

Hyperlink is certainly not as easy, but somebody here gave me a good tip: highlight the text you want to linkify, and insert a "=" followed by the URL between the first "l" and "]".
Title: Re: New forum software is driving me crazy!
Post by: Rob C on September 18, 2010, 05:20:53 pm
Hyperlink is certainly not as easy, but somebody here gave me a good tip: highlight the text you want to linkify, and instert a "=" followed by the URL between the first "l" and "]".


Holy shit! What happened to straightforward?

Rob C
Title: Re: New forum software is driving me crazy!
Post by: feppe on September 18, 2010, 06:48:07 pm
Holy shit! What happened to straightforward?

You get what you pay for; SMF (the software behind the forum) is free.
Title: Re: New forum software is driving me crazy!
Post by: michael on September 18, 2010, 07:04:39 pm
It also is the only available forum software that supports the new custom features that we're going to be rolling out in the days ahead.

Free has nothing to do with it.

Michael
Title: Re: New forum software is driving me crazy!
Post by: mguertin on September 20, 2010, 01:01:43 am
You get what you pay for; SMF (the software behind the forum) is free.

Yes, SMF might be free software, but I do have to say that it does circles performance wise around the previous forum software, which was commercial software.  This version of the forums is much snappier and handles the load without issue.  Yes the url building is a little less friendly but c'est la vie.
Title: Re: New forum software is driving me crazy!
Post by: Rob C on September 20, 2010, 04:30:40 am
Yes, SMF might be free software, but I do have to say that it does circles performance wise around the previous forum software, which was commercial software.  This version of the forums is much snappier and handles the load without issue.  Yes the url building is a little less friendly but c'est la vie.



Yep, you know and I do not; and that's much the problem here. You are extending computer savvy much wider than it probably is. I had problems learning how to post images in the previous system, now I can't even get thumbnails to show - to see anything means the viewer has to go through several different stages of clicking or, perhaps better, idiots such as I should refrain from trying. Where's the fun today? Obviously there's a way to do it - I can see other people doing so, but it takes us back to square one: computer interest which is NOT photography interest at all. Even writing a considered response to anything means I have to go to Word and then a process of copy/paste, which incurrs a constant leaping from one programme to another in order to refer to the post to which I seek to reply, because there isn't holdable space in the basic writing box.

Rob C

Title: Re: New forum software is driving me crazy!
Post by: feppe on September 20, 2010, 12:28:00 pm
Yes, SMF might be free software, but I do have to say that it does circles performance wise around the previous forum software, which was commercial software.  This version of the forums is much snappier and handles the load without issue.  Yes the url building is a little less friendly but c'est la vie.

My throwaway point about free software is mainly about UI quality. I favor free software whenever I can; I used to have Ubuntu as my only OS, and I'd still use it if it ran LR, PS and iTunes*, and am waiting impatiently for GIMP to get 16-bit editing. Free and OSS software packages generally have weak, poor or atrocious UI, unfortunately. Many of the projects start as one-man operations, and UI becomes an issue only late in development - and it seems that not too many UI and usability experts work on OSS projects. Same with artists but that's another discussion.

SMF is quite good when it comes to free forum software, but as is clear some people do find it clunky.

* yes I know about WINE but it seems like a lot of hassle, uncertain functionality, and a significant performance hit especially with PS and LR.
Title: Re: New forum software is driving me crazy!
Post by: Kirk Gittings on September 20, 2010, 01:43:05 pm
Quote
It also is the only available forum software that supports the new custom features that we're going to be rolling out in the days ahead.

Great, because so far it just seems like a PITB.
Title: Re: New forum software is driving me crazy!
Post by: DarkPenguin on September 20, 2010, 01:53:31 pm
Oh, it's fine except for the photo thing.  And how often do you need to post images on a photography forum?

Does any of the smf mods ease image uploading?  Seems like someone would have taken the time to fix it.
Title: Re: New forum software is driving me crazy!
Post by: Nill Toulme on September 20, 2010, 04:53:52 pm
The URL thing really is braindead.  I'm glad somebody else complained about it.  ;-)

Nill
Title: Re: New forum software is driving me crazy!
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on September 20, 2010, 10:12:53 pm
Yes, SMF might be free software, but I do have to say that it does circles performance wise around the previous forum software, which was commercial software.  This version of the forums is much snappier and handles the load without issue.  Yes the url building is a little less friendly but c'est la vie.

I am glad it all works for you on that side. I just wanted to join the chorus of other users who think the new software simply sucks for user friendliness on our side (and it is not just url building). And yes, I understand the site is free, hence I have no right to complain.
Title: Re: New forum software is driving me crazy!
Post by: mguertin on September 21, 2010, 01:43:17 am
Oh, it's fine except for the photo thing.  And how often do you need to post images on a photography forum?

Does any of the smf mods ease image uploading?  Seems like someone would have taken the time to fix it.

"the photo thing?"  I don't understand what you mean by this.  Are you unable to post photos?  I've seen a lot of attachments posted since this forum software went live ... how much easier can it get than press a button, select a photo and submit?

Quote
I am glad it all works for you on that side. I just wanted to join the chorus of other users who think the new software simply sucks for user friendliness on our side (and it is not just url building). And yes, I understand the site is free, hence I have no right to complain.

I also really don't understand "simply sucks for user friendliness" exactly either, aside from having to do a bit of work to do some BBCode formatting, learning where a few links are now located -- and one missing view that consensus seems to point to the fact that very few people used or liked.

Lastly what parts do people find clunky?  This forum software works like 95% of any forum software I've ever used online so I'm not really understanding this problem.  Is it the old software layout?  No, it's different software.  It's got mostly all the same stuff in it, sometimes you just have to click in a different place ...
Title: Re: New forum software is driving me crazy!
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on September 21, 2010, 03:54:21 am
Mark, I've suggested a few things elsewhere that I imagine could be reasonably easily implement and which would improve things but I've had no response, so here they are again:

1. Relax the upper limit on attachment sizes. 1Mb is pretty small. This is a site for photographs. All seemed well before and, as Michael repeatedly observes, disk space is cheap.

2. Have the "Additional options" tab open by default when posting. Why not? It takes very little space and it's at the bottom of the screen anyway. Why force an additional click?

3. Fix the "insert url" button so that it works properly, as it did on the old site. The number of mal-formatted URLs which have been posted since the new software was introduced indicates that something is wrong (or that we're  all idiots).

4. Restore the "your last visit was at" information: it's very handy for those of us who, like me, routinely use "show unread posts since last visit" to read the site (or am I the only one?). Similarly, putting that action into a button in the button bar would make life a bit easier.

I realise some of this is an attempt to persuade you to make the new board look and feel like the old one but what's wrong with that?

Jeremy
Title: Re: New forum software is driving me crazy!
Post by: stamper on September 21, 2010, 04:09:15 am
I don't see how raising the upper limit to attachments would be helpful unless someone doesn't want to be bothered about resizing their image's? An image viewed at 1 MB isn't any different from if it was at 500kb's? As to adding an image via the browse button I did it the other day and found it simpler than the old forum. It could be my imagination but there seems to be a step less than before. However I think in line with others the viewing pleasure of the forum is less than before and this is after a "settling in" period that is necessary after anything that is changed. Hopefully the custom features are relevant to the forum and not just to the main site.
Title: Re: New forum software is driving me crazy!
Post by: mguertin on September 21, 2010, 11:45:44 am
Mark, I've suggested a few things elsewhere that I imagine could be reasonably easily implement and which would improve things but I've had no response, so here they are again:

1. Relax the upper limit on attachment sizes. 1Mb is pretty small. This is a site for photographs. All seemed well before and, as Michael repeatedly observes, disk space is cheap.

2. Have the "Additional options" tab open by default when posting. Why not? It takes very little space and it's at the bottom of the screen anyway. Why force an additional click?

3. Fix the "insert url" button so that it works properly, as it did on the old site. The number of mal-formatted URLs which have been posted since the new software was introduced indicates that something is wrong (or that we're  all idiots).

4. Restore the "your last visit was at" information: it's very handy for those of us who, like me, routinely use "show unread posts since last visit" to read the site (or am I the only one?). Similarly, putting that action into a button in the button bar would make life a bit easier.

I realise some of this is an attempt to persuade you to make the new board look and feel like the old one but what's wrong with that?

Jeremy

1. I increased the size limit a while back (probably right around when you asked about it). 
2. I'll check into having this open by default.
3+4 "as it did on the old site" is not really an option, it's completely different software so there's no chance in rewriting large portions of it to work like different software.  I will see if there are any mods available to replace the URL button.  To me the previous method was clunky but if that's what users here require I'll see if we can make it happen.  Personally I find it pretty easy to type the url tags as opposed to having to do more mouse clicking, but I'm a coder so I'm biased ;)

One additional note about posting URL's, I'm not sure if everyone is aware of this or not ... unless you want to have a custom title to the link with this forum software you don't even have to use the URL button at all, you can simply paste the URL as part of the body of the message and the forum will automatically parse and link it up with no further intervention on your part, which I personally find the simplest way to post a link.
Title: Re: New forum software is driving me crazy!
Post by: Nill Toulme on September 21, 2010, 02:14:03 pm
...One additional note about posting URL's, I'm not sure if everyone is aware of this or not ... unless you want to have a custom title to the link with this forum software you don't even have to use the URL button at all, you can simply paste the URL as part of the body of the message and the forum will automatically parse and link it up with no further intervention on your part, which I personally find the simplest way to post a link.

It's easy if that's the way you want your link to look (and you don't get sidetracked by clicking the useless link button).  The whole purpose of the button is or should be to allow you to easily insert a link with a title.  The way it should work is to let you highlight existing text and then click the button, whereupon you're simply prompted for the URL, or let you click the button without any text highlighted, and then prompt you for both the title text and the URL.  

Having a button that does nothing but insert "http://" in your text is worse than nothing.

But it's not all bad.  I really like the "Show new replies to your posts" feature.  All boards should have that.

Nill
Title: Re: New forum software is driving me crazy!
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on September 22, 2010, 04:10:22 am
1. I increased the size limit a while back (probably right around when you asked about it).  
2. I'll check into having this open by default.
3+4 "as it did on the old site" is not really an option, it's completely different software so there's no chance in rewriting large portions of it to work like different software.  I will see if there are any mods available to replace the URL button.  To me the previous method was clunky but if that's what users here require I'll see if we can make it happen.  Personally I find it pretty easy to type the url tags as opposed to having to do more mouse clicking, but I'm a coder so I'm biased ;)

One additional note about posting URL's, I'm not sure if everyone is aware of this or not ... unless you want to have a custom title to the link with this forum software you don't even have to use the URL button at all, you can simply paste the URL as part of the body of the message and the forum will automatically parse and link it up with no further intervention on your part, which I personally find the simplest way to post a link.

1. Thanks: I'd not noticed. Mea culpa.
2. Thanks again.
3. I appreciate that the phrase "as it did on the old site" probably isn't helpful. The suggestions stand, though. I think your "coder" bias does show a little! Most people, I suspect, prefer the look of a hidden link, so an easy way of inserting one would be beneficial.

Jeremy
Title: Re: New forum software is driving me crazy!
Post by: mguertin on September 22, 2010, 08:07:53 am
Ok ... there's now a modified URL button in the post form that works as requested, and the Additional Options area is shown as open by default.
Title: Re: New forum software is driving me crazy!
Post by: Patricia Sheley on September 22, 2010, 10:46:13 am
Mark... I finally sorted being able to get an image up...but the fixed has now somehow reverted...The browse/upload was working perfectly and now I think I'll just refrain from trying so that I don't keep inflicting screwed up posts on people...sorry for being so thick...ps .How were you able to restore my screw-up?
Title: Re: New forum software is driving me crazy!
Post by: mguertin on September 22, 2010, 10:50:43 am
I retrieved your deleted post (there's a trash can like feature with the forum).

If your images are not working when uploading check a few things:

- make sure that the image type matches the extension (this will cause big problems) .. e.g. if it's a jpeg make sure it ends in .jpg
- make it reasonably small ... you can upload up to 4mb per image now, but ... you might have timeout problems on your browser or problems at your ISP end of things, it can take a long time to upload that much data
- make sure you're not just having a local problem with things not showing up because of browser/ISP cacheing issues

I saw the last image you posted on that thread fine (it was the colour version of the one you posted in the first post, right?)
Title: Re: New forum software is driving me crazy!
Post by: Patricia Sheley on September 22, 2010, 02:52:49 pm
Thanks Mark...God save the trash cans! Though the more garbage out the better... No problems with any other exporting, uploading ,FTP elsewhere, but I always try to assume it is my error...seeing the posts above help me be a little less self critical...  seems to be intermittent, works or doesn't, (I actually went to tiny files thinking that was the issue...) oh well..small potatoes in the grand scheme...lets us know we are still among the living... Thanks again..
Title: Re: New forum software is driving me crazy!
Post by: feppe on September 26, 2010, 04:09:18 am
Ok ... there's now a modified URL button in the post form that works as requested, and the Additional Options area is shown as open by default.

I only now realized that insert URL works as it did in the past. This is Good, thank you!
Title: Re: New forum software is driving me crazy!
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on October 23, 2010, 11:44:34 pm
Is there a way to see a list of the most recent posts (as opposed to unread posts)? Another feature that drives me crazy with this new software. Say I read a post, then closed it. A few moments later I want to re-read it, or comment or... but I can not find it anymore! Unless of course I use search, for which I need to remember either the title, or author, or key words... utterly frustrating. Most other forums display posts in chronological order, with posts I read highlighted. Most other forums also give me a one-click access to my posts (here I have to go into Profile then find the link Show Posts). At the same time, there is a direct link to the utterly useless My Messages, as if this is Twitter or something. Rant over.
Title: Re: New forum software is driving me crazy!
Post by: mguertin on October 24, 2010, 12:14:23 am
Is there a way to see a list of the most recent posts (as opposed to unread posts)? Another feature that drives me crazy with this new software. Say I read a post, then closed it. A few moments later I want to re-read it, or comment or... but I can not find it anymore! Unless of course I use search, for which I need to remember either the title, or author, or key words... utterly frustrating. Most other forums display posts in chronological order, with posts I read highlighted. Most other forums also give me a one-click access to my posts (here I have to go into Profile then find the link Show Posts). At the same time, there is a direct link to the utterly useless My Messages, as if this is Twitter or something. Rant over.

At the bottom of the main forum page there's a link titled "view most recent posts on the forum" (in the area called Forum Stats).  Why they put it there who knows, but it does exactly what you're asking.
Title: Re: New forum software is driving me crazy!
Post by: Philnick on October 30, 2010, 11:42:06 pm
I'm a new member, so no "as it used to be" comments from me.

Let me just say that I've had zero luck attaching a pair of relatively small jpegs to my post. The board rejected them when I had sized them each to just under 4MP, so I resized them to total 3M for the pair. Then it took them, and it displays them about 2" x 3", but clicking on either of them to display them larger brings up an empty viewer window with a line of code at the top, but no image.

Clicking on the download link downloads a zero byte file. I've deleted and reattached them two or three times, but the result is always the same. Here's a link to that post:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=45647.msg398643#msg398643

Can you help me figure out what to do?
Title: Re: New forum software is driving me crazy!
Post by: mguertin on October 31, 2010, 04:56:25 pm
I'm a new member, so no "as it used to be" comments from me.

Let me just say that I've had zero luck attaching a pair of relatively small jpegs to my post. The board rejected them when I had sized them each to just under 4MP, so I resized them to total 3M for the pair. Then it took them, and it displays them about 2" x 3", but clicking on either of them to display them larger brings up an empty viewer window with a line of code at the top, but no image.

Clicking on the download link downloads a zero byte file. I've deleted and reattached them two or three times, but the result is always the same. Here's a link to that post:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=45647.msg398643#msg398643

Can you help me figure out what to do?

That's very odd and you're right, they don't show up or download properly.  I don't see a line of code when I try to view them .. can you paste in the line of code that you see?  Also are you sure that the file extension properly matches the filetype?  (i.e. are they really jpg images?)
Title: Re: New forum software is driving me crazy!
Post by: Kirk Gittings on October 31, 2010, 06:17:39 pm
At the bottom of the main forum page there's a link titled "view most recent posts on the forum" (in the area called Forum Stats).  Why they put it there who knows, but it does exactly what you're asking.

Except that button doesn't work on mine?
Title: Re: New forum software is driving me crazy!
Post by: Philnick on October 31, 2010, 07:05:36 pm
The display window doesn't let you highlight and copy the line of code, but there are always . . . alternatives, like pressing Ctrl-A, in this case.

This is the line of code from the first image's viewer window:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=45647.0;attach=29350;image

This is the line of code from the second image's viewer window:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=45647.0;attach=29352;image

The only difference appears to be the image's reference number.

The images are definitely JPEGs. Not only did I tell Photoshop to save them as jpegs, I just did an experiment. I stripped the JPG extension off one of them and tried to open it in Irfan View, which put up the message: "File is a JPEG with an incorrect extension. Rename?"

I was going to send the JPEGs to you via Drop.IO - but guess what? They've been bought by facebook and have discontinued the service! So I searched for another similar service and found SendUit.com - but they're having technical difficulties (maybe they piggybacked on drop.io?).

So I've tried attaching them again here. Let's see what happens.

PS Same result!
Title: Re: New forum software is driving me crazy!
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on October 31, 2010, 09:50:57 pm
If you right-click on the word "image" which comes up instead of the real image, and click "image properties" it says the image has 0 bytes and is 0x0 pixels. If that were really the case, the thumbnail wouldn't show at all, so it does seem to be some bug (i.e., "undocumented feature") in the forum software.

Truly weird.

Eric
Title: Re: New forum software is driving me crazy!
Post by: mguertin on November 01, 2010, 01:15:02 am
I sent you a PM with my email address to send me the images so I can take a look and see what might be tripping up the forum software.  It's very odd as it seems to work for most other images.

@Kirk Gittings:  Strange .. the link for the latest forum posts works fine for me in several browsers and a couple of operating systems...