Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: teddillard on September 17, 2010, 09:36:50 am

Title: Hasselblad Flex X5 “Virtual Drum” Scanning demonstration video
Post by: teddillard on September 17, 2010, 09:36:50 am
Again, not sure where to talk about scanning, but this seems to be the place.  We just picked up the Hasseblad scanner line, and it's like meeting up with an old friend.  I've been working with these things since around Y2K (remember Y2K? :o ), even did "open scanner surgery" on one, with Per Holk on the other end of the line, while he talked me through replacing a desperate customer's drive mechanism.  They're great, bulletproof machines. 

Hasselblad has a little Flex demo video on their site, but it hasn't got any audio, so I snagged it and added a little explanation.  If you're wondering exactly how the technology works, have a look at my post:
http://www.parrotcolor.com/store/blog/?p=332

Also, for some reason I seem to remember Imacon developing the concept of the Virtual Drum through some sort of relationship with an earlier, now defunct company.  Anybody have that bit of trivia at their fingertips?

Title: Re: Hasselblad Flex X5 “Virtual Drum” Scanning demonstration video
Post by: Sven W on September 18, 2010, 07:47:51 am
Christian Poulsen, the founder of Imacon, former CEO for Hasselblad, now technical consultant for HB, is probably the person who
know most of the History of Scanners.
Try to contact him: http://www.hasselblad.se/about-hasselblad/contact-us.aspx (http://www.hasselblad.se/about-hasselblad/contact-us.aspx)

/Sven
Title: Re: Hasselblad Flex X5 “Virtual Drum” Scanning demonstration video
Post by: teddillard on September 20, 2010, 09:15:51 am
Thanks Sven- though last I asked at (Imacon) Hasselblad, they claimed it was immaculately conceived.  :D  

Which brings to mind...  I was so sorry to hear of Mr. Poulsen's leaving Hasselblad- a true gentleman.  
Title: Re: Hasselblad Flex X5 “Virtual Drum” Scanning demonstration video
Post by: Sven W on September 20, 2010, 12:51:41 pm
Not only a gentleman...a technical genius !!
Wonder what he is doing today?
I'll check with my colleague / spy at PhotoKina this week.

/Sven