Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: BernardLanguillier on September 13, 2010, 08:06:20 am

Title: Cool sites?
Post by: BernardLanguillier on September 13, 2010, 08:06:20 am
Gentlemen,

As the third world war is being planned in another thread started by an idiot, how about recommending each other real cool sites we've come across recently?

You start. :)

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Cool sites?
Post by: DarkPenguin on September 13, 2010, 08:44:18 am
Wasn't that amazing?

Haven't come across this recently but have been reading it again --

http://www.jmcolberg.com/weblog/
Title: Re: Cool sites?
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on September 13, 2010, 11:03:37 am
Gentlemen,

As the third world war is being planned in another thread started by an idiot, how about recommending each other real cool sites we've come across recently?

You start. :)

Cheers,
Bernard

I won't agree that the starter of that thread was an idiot, but I'll agree that he didn't fully comprehend the twists and turns his thread would take.

I'll have to say that I find most of what is posted here on LuLa informative and sometimes entertaining. My other daily web-reads tend to be something like the NY Times. But when certain threads on LuLa or the Times become too depressing, the site I always turn to for non-political comic relief is http://cuteoverload.com (http://cuteoverload.com). That's also the place I can find all the Cute Kittens that Michael finds so loathsome.

For serious political news, the best source is http://www.theonion.com/ (http://www.theonion.com/).

Eric
Title: Re: Cool sites?
Post by: jeremypayne on September 13, 2010, 03:38:31 pm
I haven't had time to read since I got my iPad ... I've been too busy playing Angry Birds.

Angry Birds is almost reason enough to buy an iPad.
Title: Re: Cool sites?
Post by: wolfnowl on September 13, 2010, 07:19:45 pm
Not exactly photography related, but, http://www.specialplaces.ca

Of course, it depends on how you define 'cool'!

Mike.
Title: Re: Cool sites?
Post by: BernardLanguillier on September 13, 2010, 07:43:27 pm
I haven't had time to read since I got my iPad ... I've been too busy playing Angry Birds.

Angry Birds is almost reason enough to buy an iPad.

Unless you value spending time away from a screen, right? :)

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Cool sites?
Post by: John R on September 13, 2010, 07:51:29 pm
Here are two sites I enjoy:

TOP (The Outdoor Photographer) http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/blog_index.html and http://shutterfinger.typepad.com/shutterfinger/

They are both photography related. The first most of us know about and needs little introduction. The latter is great, because the photographer has a lot of experience and relates how and why he takes photos; how he uses and chooses his eqipment, with focus always on content and creativity.

 
Title: Re: Cool sites?
Post by: jeremypayne on September 13, 2010, 07:56:19 pm
True, true ... But the IPS panel on the iPad sure beats the laptops I used to stare at all day long.  At about 40% brightness, it is darn close to matching my calibrated LED samsung.  I haven't touched my laptops since I got the ipad.  All it needs is Lightroom Lite ...

I like to get outdoors on the weekends ... And I even bring it with me then.  Having a GPS enabled topographical map has allowed me to safely explore a few spots for which I would have never ventured from the trail to look.

I just subscribed to Nat Geo on the iPad ... Really brings the photos to life ...
 
Title: Re: Cool sites?
Post by: tom b on September 13, 2010, 09:30:19 pm
Just found this link for The Top 100 Photography Blogs:

http://www.photography-colleges.org/the-top-100-photography-blogs

Might be of interest.

Cheers
Title: Re: Cool sites?
Post by: DarkPenguin on September 13, 2010, 09:43:56 pm
Unrelated to photography my favorite site on the web just might be Timothy McSweeney's Internet Tendencies -- http://www.mcsweeneys.net/

Where else do you find things like this ....

Quote
That was the inspiration for a song I wrote, a few years later, called "The Tick." I still consider it one of the greatest country songs ever written. It goes like this:

    I found a tick on my body that reminded me of you/ It sucked the life out of me just the way you used to do.

    It latched on to me and it tried to suck me dry/ And I tried to break free, tried to make that thing die/ But it was sunk in so deep and so clever and so clean/ That I couldn't get my fingers or the tweezers in between/ Its skin and my skin.

    I burned it off with a dirty old match/ That reminded me of you and your dirty old snatch/ The skin on my thigh began to turn red/ Because inside of me there are still pieces of you... and that filthy tick's head.

    -- From Global War On Bedbugs: Letters from Bedbug City.
Title: Re: Cool sites?
Post by: lightstand on September 13, 2010, 10:50:39 pm
I think this has been mentioned before, but I still find him funny:  http://www.27bslash6.com/index.html  although I can't seem to find any of his new posts searching the site you can get to them through his facebook page.
Title: Re: Cool sites?
Post by: DarkPenguin on September 13, 2010, 10:57:58 pm
I would like to take this time to briefly mourn the passing of one of the most shamefully funny web sites I've ever seen.  Gone some 2 1/2 years now.  Fortunately it still resides on the net.  It just isn't updated ....

http://www.monkeyfluids.com/

Title: Re: Cool sites?
Post by: John R on September 14, 2010, 11:54:42 pm
http://smibs.tv/fine-art-photography-weekly/launch-premiere

And this one is very interesting. It is actually an online webcast (I think that's what they call it), and features interviews with some great photographers and their work. From digital to darkroom, to BW masters. Very interesting. Right now there are about 7 or more shows on archive.

JMR
Title: Re: Cool sites?
Post by: JohnKoerner on September 15, 2010, 08:47:44 am
I won't agree that the starter of that thread was an idiot, but I'll agree that he didn't fully comprehend the twists and turns his thread would take.


I hear you.

For that matter, who would have thought a thread about parasitic wasps emerging out of the body of a caterpillar would turn into a thread about Rob C.'s website (http://www.johnkoerner.org/Emoticons/laugh.gif)

Jack




.
Title: Re: Cool sites?
Post by: Justan on September 15, 2010, 09:27:44 am
Arts & Letters Daily: http://www.aldaily.com/

Great site for scholarly and literary articles...
Title: Re: Cool sites?
Post by: Rob C on September 15, 2010, 10:24:27 am

I hear you.

For that matter, who would have thought a thread about parasitic wasps emerging out of the body of a caterpillar would turn into a thread about Rob C.'s website (http://www.johnkoerner.org/Emoticons/laugh.gif)

Jack


"So smile, things could be worse ..."

I pick up your original post and piccy.

That's where it gets you, trying to motivate me into something other than surfing.

Still, it has moved my site along a bit in the past day or so - two new sections!

;-)

Rob C


Title: Re: Cool sites?
Post by: JohnKoerner on September 15, 2010, 10:50:47 am
I pick up your original post and piccy.

That's where it gets you, trying to motivate me into something other than surfing.

Still, it has moved my site along a bit in the past day or so - two new sections!

;-)

Rob C


I was just pokin' fun :)

Good deal on the website too. I am about to do a major knuckle-crack and get busy editing my own over the next week :-\

Jack




.
Title: Re: Cool sites?
Post by: Rob C on September 15, 2010, 02:58:16 pm

I was just pokin' fun :)

Good deal on the website too. I am about to do a major knuckle-crack and get busy editing my own over the next week :-\

Jack



Thanks - getting too close to your own work is a bit dangerous, though; one ges a bit blind about what one is looking at and it becomes increasingly difficult to separate wheat from chaff. I would like to claim there was none of the latter, but reason and the Law of Averages says think again! Trouble is, it has to be one's own decision... once, I'd have asked my wife, but I know I'd have rejected advice I didn't like. At first, that is.

Rob C
Title: Re: Cool sites?
Post by: feppe on September 15, 2010, 03:40:56 pm
Visual virtuosity although rarely photographic at Visual Complexity (http://www.visualcomplexity.com/vc/).

The Onion was mentioned, but they also have video with Onion News Network (http://www.theonion.com/video/obama-releases-500000-men-from-us-strategic-bachel,18095/). Nothing to do with photography, but Badass of the Week (http://www.badassoftheweek.com/) is fun and informative.

Arts & Letters Daily: http://www.aldaily.com/

Great site for scholarly and literary articles...


And the unrelated but similar Science and Technology Daily (http://www.scitechdaily.com/).
Title: Re: Cool sites?
Post by: tom b on September 15, 2010, 07:38:39 pm
Two blogs, cool – probably not, but a lot of fun.

http://wedinator.com

http://photoshopdisasters.blogspot.com

Oh and thanks for the link to:

http://www.27bslash6.com/index.html

Thoroughly subversive and Australian too!

Cheers,