Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: Kirk Gittings on September 07, 2010, 12:15:22 pm

Title: Hassleblad .fff files question.
Post by: Kirk Gittings on September 07, 2010, 12:15:22 pm
These are from an Hassy/Imacon scanner. I get them from the service as .fff files-as close to raw as I can and do all the processing at home so I can control as much of the process as possible. I have Flexcolor software on my computer at home. Are .fff files actually raw files? I don't really see any difference processing them in Flexcolor vs. PS.
Title: Re: Hassleblad .fff files question.
Post by: Wayne Fox on September 08, 2010, 03:43:13 pm
I think they are constructed similar to a raw file, in that all of the original scanned data is included, and that must be rendered to a usable file.  I haven't opened an .fff file from my Imacon scanner for a long time.  Does the file open directly into PS or does it open in ACR?
Title: Re: Hassleblad .fff files question.
Post by: Kirk Gittings on September 09, 2010, 05:25:58 pm
That's whats weird. They open directly in PS4.
Title: Re: Hassleblad .fff files question.
Post by: Dick Roadnight on September 09, 2010, 06:33:05 pm
That's whats weird. They open directly in PS4.
Compatibility does not necessarily produce optimal results.

I think you will have better options, especially the fill, recover and clarity functions in Phocus (which is free).
Title: Re: Hassleblad .fff files question.
Post by: Schewe on September 09, 2010, 07:34:33 pm
Are .fff files actually raw files? I don't really see any difference processing them in Flexcolor vs. PS.

The files from the Imacon in .fff format are essentially TIFF files. Imacon at one point was going to do something special with .fff files but never got around to it. The proof is to simply rename the .fff as a .tif and you'll see they open in Photoshop just as a TIFF file will. And no, they are not "raw"...they are scans based on your Flexcolor settings.
Title: Re: Hassleblad .fff files question.
Post by: Kirk Gittings on September 10, 2010, 12:39:08 am
Thanks all.
Title: Re: Hassleblad .fff files question.
Post by: Dick Roadnight on September 10, 2010, 05:59:20 am
The files from the Imacon in .fff format are essentially TIFF files. Imacon at one point was going to do something special with .fff files but never got around to it. The proof is to simply rename the .fff as a .tif and you'll see they open in Photoshop just as a TIFF file will. And no, they are not "raw"...they are scans based on your Flexcolor settings.
...so .fff files from a Hasselblad back are different to those from an Imacon scan back?

¿Can you produce better copies of flat work with a Hasselblad H4D-60 back on a P3 with an Apo-Digitar (macro) than you can with a scanner?
Title: Re: Hassleblad .fff files question.
Post by: Schewe on September 10, 2010, 10:51:52 am
...so .fff files from a Hasselblad back are different to those from an Imacon scan back?

Yes, just as NEF files from a Nikon film scanner are different from a Nikon digital camera...scanner files will always be rendered RGB files.