Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: MarkBarbieri on September 06, 2010, 07:57:31 pm

Title: Mat Cutter and Paper Cutter
Post by: MarkBarbieri on September 06, 2010, 07:57:31 pm
If I buy a mat cutter, do I also need a paper cutter?  Can't I just use the mat cutter to also cut my prints?
Title: Re: Mat Cutter and Paper Cutter
Post by: Geoff Wittig on September 06, 2010, 08:06:17 pm
Yes, you can cut your photos with a mat cutter. You can cut them with a utility knife and a straightedge, or with a pair of scissors for that matter. It's purely a matter of convenience. I confess to using scissors to cut down prints from roll paper so they're 'close enough', and my wife then mats and frames them for me.

But a high-end self-sharpening twin-rail cutter is mighty nice; slices straight and true with no effort at all. For me it'd be a luxury. If I were selling 20 prints a day, though, it'd be a necessity.
Title: Re: Mat Cutter and Paper Cutter
Post by: jgbowerman on September 07, 2010, 09:10:13 am
I find it easier to cut prints with a simple straight edge and a utility knife. I score first before bearing down, taking two or three strokes to complete the cut. I do the same with foam board. I only use the mat cutter for cutting mats.
Title: Re: Mat Cutter and Paper Cutter
Post by: Bill Koenig on September 15, 2010, 11:43:51 am
It depends on the mat cutter IMO, I have the Logan 650 which has a straight cut rail as well as bevel cut rail. The straight cut rail works great for squaring up mat board, or cutting prints to size.
Also, you can cut 8 ply mat board and 3/16 foam core as well.
The only reason I went with the Logan 650 was the price at the time was only $300.00 new, which is about half the price when it first came out. Now there top shelf is the 750.
I don't cut mats on a daily basis, and this model is OK for low volume work, but if I cut mats everyday I would step up to a higher end mat cutter, and a rotary paper cutter for prints, which will give a much cleaner cut.
Title: Re: Mat Cutter and Paper Cutter
Post by: BobShram on September 18, 2010, 10:50:30 am
Straight edge and utility knife for me, I use the "Rapid Edge" blades as they don't clog and stay sharper, longer. Saves on the Mat Cutter blade life too.