Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: feppe on September 06, 2010, 04:58:08 pm

Title: How to determine which lens profile is better?
Post by: feppe on September 06, 2010, 04:58:08 pm
3.2 has profiles for some of the lenses I have, but I already made profiles for them myself on one loooong Sunday afternoon. Although I'm sure Adobe's methodology is more sound than my questionable setup, the profiles I made are obviously for my camera/lens combination and might have an edge in some areas. I checked one profile (think it was Canon 85mm f/1.8), and there was a clear difference; vignetting was (as expected) batter in Adobe's, but eyeballing the geometric distortion correction is inconclusive.

Is there an objective way to easily check which profile is better, Adobe's or mine?
Title: Re: How to determine which lens profile is better?
Post by: sajkec on September 07, 2010, 04:06:55 am
I'm sorry to steal your topic a bit:
Is there a way to view exactly which lens was profiled? I own AF-S 80-200 Nikon lens, which has different optics as AF-D 80-200 Nikon. If I search profiles in Photoshop it finds them many, but just 80-200 is shown, not the whole name, the same is in LR3. Is this information possible to get?

Title: Re: How to determine which lens profile is better?
Post by: mcbroomf on September 07, 2010, 12:42:57 pm
The way I would do this is to make a virtual copy of an image, apply the 2 different profiles, then put the images side by side and examine them, ie zoom in to corners to look at CA, the whole image to look at vignetting, add rulers to look at distortion etc.  It may take several different photos of different types but it should take a lot of the subjectivity out of it.
Title: Re: How to determine which lens profile is better?
Post by: feppe on September 07, 2010, 03:36:31 pm
The way I would do this is to make a virtual copy of an image, apply the 2 different profiles, then put the images side by side and examine them, ie zoom in to corners to look at CA, the whole image to look at vignetting, add rulers to look at distortion etc.  It may take several different photos of different types but it should take a lot of the subjectivity out of it.

Easier just to apply the 1st profile, then the 2nd, and undo it, rinse, repeat.

But I was looking for an objective way.