Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Riaan van Wyk on September 02, 2010, 03:06:44 pm

Title: Flapnecked Chameleon
Post by: Riaan van Wyk on September 02, 2010, 03:06:44 pm
Chameleons make good wildlife macro subjects..they move very slowly..
Title: Re: Flapnecked Chameleon
Post by: shutterpup on September 02, 2010, 05:57:32 pm
So much of it is out of focus. What happened?
Title: Re: Flapnecked Chameleon
Post by: degrub on September 02, 2010, 10:35:02 pm
uh... narrow DOF in macro ?
Title: Re: Flapnecked Chameleon
Post by: JohnKoerner on September 03, 2010, 06:25:12 am
So much of it is out of focus. What happened?

Yes, as stated above, macro lenses typically have a very shallow depth-of-field, so when you do super-close shots (with natural light) much of the subject is in fact blurred ... but this also has a very interesting effect. Macro lenses are exactly the opposite of, say, a wide-angle lens (which gets almost everything is in-focus). With very close macro shots usually only a very thin plane is in-focus, with the remainder being blurred in both the fore- and backgrounds.

Jack


.

Title: Re: Flapnecked Chameleon
Post by: Riaan van Wyk on September 03, 2010, 06:55:10 am
The longish lens and close up dioptre attached ate the DOF here.
Title: Re: Flapnecked Chameleon
Post by: shutterpup on September 03, 2010, 11:17:22 am
uh... narrow DOF in macro ?

Most of my shooting is macro these days with a 100mm macro lens. I am able to overcome the narrow DOF, and just wondered why the extreme narrow DOF when I think that greater DOF would have produced a much nicer image.
Title: Re: Flapnecked Chameleon
Post by: Riaan van Wyk on September 05, 2010, 01:32:14 pm
Most of my shooting is macro these days with a 100mm macro lens. I am able to overcome the narrow DOF, and just wondered why the extreme narrow DOF when I think that greater DOF would have produced a much nicer image.

Do you shoot at 1:1 with your 100mm macro lens shutterpup? At what distance from your subject? Would love to hear how you overcome the narrow DOF since it is rather difficult to change the physical characteristics of how a lens is designed to work. Unless you focus stack of course.

Regarding the image- I was forced into a corner at the time- using a cheap 70-300 lens at 250mm I think, on the "macro" setting and a close up dioptre to get it to focus closer, the light was not conducive to shooting small apertures- with flash it would have been a different scenario. If I recall correctly the image was shot at F8 ( might be wrong) but the lens doesn't go to less than F5.6 anyway at that magnification. The "hazy" out of focus areas is a result of the screw on "close up lens."  All the more reason to relegate them to the cupboard :)

I have a library with a books on "macro photography" and all of them mentioned close up lenses. Had to try it for myself so I could one day say that they don't really work.   
   
Title: Re: Flapnecked Chameleon
Post by: JohnKoerner on September 07, 2010, 05:39:24 am
Most of my shooting is macro these days with a 100mm macro lens. I am able to overcome the narrow DOF, and just wondered why the extreme narrow DOF when I think that greater DOF would have produced a much nicer image.


I asked this of another individual awhile back also:

Can you please post a macro image, you personally have shot, that was 1:1 and does not have a shallow DOF (and w/o the use of flash)?

I'd sure like to see it.

Thank you,

Jack




.