Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: dgberg on August 26, 2010, 07:35:30 am

Title: Looking for info on adding a price calculator to my website.
Post by: dgberg on August 26, 2010, 07:35:30 am
I have been researching adding a price calculator (shopping cart) to my printmaking services page and have not found a whole lot. This may have to be custom designed. This will be tied to Paypal for online purchasing.
Title: Re: Looking for info on adding a price calculator to my website.
Post by: Justinr on August 28, 2010, 05:18:41 pm
When it comes to running calculations and 'doing stuff' other than looking at pages you will need to run a sub programme on the server using a server side language such as SQL or PHP. The hosting package you have will need to allow this (most do, or are capable of doing so for extra pennies) and then you will need to get your head round another language!

 Enjoy! :)
Title: Re: Looking for info on adding a price calculator to my website.
Post by: neile on August 28, 2010, 05:22:58 pm
Dan,

I spent a ton of time looking into this for my site (www.danecreekfolios.com) and eventually settled on PayPal for payments and AuctionInc for the shopping cart. My core need was accurate shipping prices, and since my volume is relatively low all the other solutions were cost prohibitive due to monthly fees.

For the custom print work I do I don't even bother with an online calculator. I have some base sample prices for typical print sizes on the site, but always work directly with the customer to get an accurate quote which I send as a PDF attachment from Quickbooks. Then when they pay they can either do it via PayPal or with a cheque.

Neil
Title: Re: Looking for info on adding a price calculator to my website.
Post by: dgberg on August 28, 2010, 05:33:07 pm
Neil,
What you are doing really makes sense. I was hoping to find something we could just plug the numbers in and done. Since all my pricing is by the square inch I get the occasional customer complaint. Thought it might be worthwhile to at least look what is out there.
I also have paypal and may just go the same route.
Title: Re: Looking for info on adding a price calculator to my website.
Post by: mikev1 on August 30, 2010, 12:45:44 am
Hey Dan, I have a simple PHP script that you are welcome to use.  If your hosting package allows PHP let me know, send me a PM I guess.  It will give you an idea as to what you need to do.  It is pretty simple.  I did it myself with very little programming knowledge.

Mike
Title: Re: Looking for info on adding a price calculator to my website.
Post by: cybis on August 30, 2010, 04:34:44 pm
If you happen to be using Drupal as your Content Management System then Ubercart is the way to go. Both Drupal and Ubercart are free, open source, very powerful, highly customizable, work easily and seamlessly with Paypal and other payment gateways.

(This has nothing to do with 'Printers, Papers and Inks'; there may be a need for a new forum space for business related discussions?)