Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: Josh-H on August 24, 2010, 12:19:35 am

Title: Lightroom Slidshow - Quality Issues
Post by: Josh-H on August 24, 2010, 12:19:35 am
Has anyone else noticed that the quality of images once you actually start a slide show is really poor compared to how they appear in either the library or develop modules? Its been that way since Beta 1 and was something I was really hopeful would be fixed in LR3.

I am not sure what the reason for it is - maybee LR is generating (it must be) new previews for the actual slideshow and these are poor quality. To define poor quality what I mean is the images appear very soft compared to how they are actually processed. I dont think this is anything I am doing -  it seems inherent to the way LR generates the previews for slideshows.

It makes the whole slideshow module sort of useless for me unfortunately. Little point in having nice sharp images if LR's slideshow module is going to butcher them for slideshows. Maybee I am being to harsh and unfair on the slideshow module. What are other peoples experiences?

I have used 3rd party slideshow modules without this kind of issue. (Dont even get me started on LR's export to PDF and export to movie). I dont mean for my criticism to sound overly harsh as I really love LR - but the slideshow module for me leaves a lot to be desired quality wise. Again, I would be interested to hear the experience of others in this regard.

thanks.
Title: Re: Lightroom Slidshow - Quality Issues
Post by: tom b on August 24, 2010, 12:38:33 am
The slide show in Bridge is terrible too. I've been using Quick Look in the finder (Mac) to view simple slide shows. Just select the slides in the finder and hit the space bar.  Images look fine but little control over anything else.

Cheers,
Title: Re: Lightroom Slidshow - Quality Issues
Post by: boneywhitefoot on August 24, 2010, 11:41:59 pm
I found that if you do not use a border in the slide show the quality returns
Title: Re: Lightroom Slidshow - Quality Issues
Post by: BFoto on August 25, 2010, 02:55:56 am
This has actually been an issue since 1.0.

If you generate 1:1 previews 1st, then run the slideshow you should see a difference.
Title: Re: Lightroom Slidshow - Quality Issues
Post by: Josh-H on August 25, 2010, 04:50:40 am
Yes I have done that... the quality is still bad.

I do hope Adobe fixes it.
Title: Re: Lightroom Slidshow - Quality Issues
Post by: boneywhitefoot on August 25, 2010, 05:23:51 pm
have you tried no borders yet,it worked for me.....
Title: Re: Lightroom Slidshow - Quality Issues
Post by: Josh-H on August 25, 2010, 05:39:56 pm
Yes, no borders does make a difference - its much better for sure.
Thanks.
Title: Re: Lightroom Slidshow - Quality Issues
Post by: boneywhitefoot on August 25, 2010, 05:49:41 pm
yep it really got me upset cause I love showing off my work in slide show and to see all ya hard work looking like poos didnt exactly spin my wheels.