Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: soboyle on August 23, 2010, 07:14:18 pm

Title: Output sharpening for Blurb books
Post by: soboyle on August 23, 2010, 07:14:18 pm
Anyone suggest optimal settings for output for Blurb books, from lightroom?
Since blurb prints with HP Indigo digital offset presses, I wonder what the best output selections would be in lightroom.
ditto for sharpening settings.
My best guess is to go with a 300 dpi output, matte paper, standard sharpening, sRGB color space, 8 bit tif.
My books are designed in InDesign, and I output from there to blurb using PDF.
Any suggestions - perhaps more sharpening?

Title: Re: Output sharpening for Blurb books
Post by: soboyle on August 25, 2010, 01:03:19 pm
No blurb book designers here?
Title: Re: Output sharpening for Blurb books
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on August 25, 2010, 02:17:25 pm
No blurb book designers here?
I've used 90% jpegs exported from LR into their BookSmart (which doesn't understand TIFFs), sRGB colour space and standard sharpening for glossy paper. I've been pleased with the results.

FWIW

Jeremy
Title: Re: Output sharpening for Blurb books
Post by: jjj on August 25, 2010, 05:53:11 pm
I've just tested Blurb, I laid images in inDesign and outputted a PDF to print from and images were softer than I like. But that is because I didn't resize down from original size and output sharpen, not that Blurb is not sharp. I now have a script that takes my images from InDesign [I use a Blurb InDesign Template as a starting point] and the script reduces the linked image files [do not use origs] to the exact size as laid out on page. I can then sharpen to suit if they vary in size or batch sharpen if all same size.
Not had time to send off redone files, but simply by viewing PDF for printing you can see images are sharper.

Colours were spot on but images a little darker than my screen.

I think this is the resize script used, not on machine it's installed on.
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?event=extensionDetail&extid=1509025 (http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?event=extensionDetail&extid=1509025)