Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: Sturdyman on August 22, 2010, 01:08:25 am
-
Hello All,
I am new to this forum and new to the SLR world. I am planning on purchasing the Olympus E3 and need suggestions on lenses. I fish a lot and will take landscape as well as close up action shots. Photos can be in any sort of light. What range of lenses should I purchase? These photos will be framed and displayed (8 by 10 and larger).
-
Perhaps I should make my question more general in nature. I will be taking outdoor action photos as well as land scape vistas. Regardles of the brand of camera, what combination of lenses would you recommend? Lets make a limit of three lenses. My thoughts are the 70-300MM ED and the 18-180mm ED lenses. All suggestions are welcome.
-
I would buy the 12-60mm and the 50-200mm, both superb lenses and covering a massive 24mm to 400mm equivalent range. They are also weather sealed (the 70-300mm isn't, and neither is it all that sharp beyond 200mm) making them ideal for landscape.
-
What is your budget? If I was buying a 4/3's body I'd get the 7-14, 12-60 and 50-200. All three are very good lenses. A cheaper set would be the 9-18, 14-54 f2.8-35 and that 50-200.
-
Thank you both for your input. If I do this on the cheap I will just end up spending more money to get it right. I will buy the Oly E3 body and the 12-60mm SWD to start. After the fly fishing trip in late October I can get the 50-200mm SWD. That will have to be it through the end of this year. I make my last car payment next week and will have a little extra monthly to pull this off. Three grand is all I want to spend for now. I know I will want to squeeze in a third lens sooner or later.
We have a few Tuna, Stripper, and Shark trips planned for the spring. The weather or splash proof option sealed the deal for me. Might even be able to pull off a trip to the Everglades next fall.
Keep the suggestions coming. I also shoot a little archery and will be in the woods taking a lot of pictures for the club.
-
Yikes!!!!!!........I just looked at the 7-14mm F4 for $1799..........What applications would this lens be used for?
-
Extreme wide angle. That would be for the "vistas" you mentioned. But you can do them with out it. The 9-18 is also good.
Compare the 7-14 with the Nikon 14-whatever it is.
-
Well.......I think I am absolutly giddy.......7-14mm for $1799........for that type of money I might as well get a beast of a lens........the 150mm F2.0 for $2599 should do it.
This is gonna hurt so good.......
-
Well.......I think I am absolutly giddy.......7-14mm for $1799........for that type of money I might as well get a beast of a lens........the 150mm F2.0 for $2599 should do it.
This is gonna hurt so good.......
Depending on what you mean by "beast" the 7-14 might be. It is also an SHG lens like the 150mm f2 rather than HG like the 12-50 and 50-200. BTW what kind of dollars is $ referring to? Both of those lenses are much cheaper than the prices you're listing. At least in American money.
Getting the 12-60 first seems like a good plan, btw.
-
I definatly see the logic in getting the 7-14mm, 12-60mm, and the 50-200mm lenses. Combined they cover a wide range from 7mm to 200mm. On a 4:3 body the numbers are = to 14 to 400mm in the 35mm world. These lenses all have variable F values. How would the 14-35mm and 35-100mm lenses with the fixed F2 value fit in?. I would assume they would be better in lower light. Would these lenses make senes to have or would I be duplicating the capabilities of the first three with the variable F value?
Please be patient with me I am a newbie. I just like to have a plan before I make the first purchase.
Perhaps it would be best to omit the 7-14mm and relace it with the 14-35mm F2?
-
i'm curious why you would spend significant money on the Oly rather than Canon or Nikon?
-
i'm curious why you would spend significant money on the Oly rather than Canon or Nikon?
You missed the part about weather sealed :)
I definatly see the logic in getting the 7-14mm, 12-60mm, and the 50-200mm lenses. Combined they cover a wide range from 7mm to 200mm. On a 4:3 body the numbers are = to 14 to 400mm in the 35mm world. These lenses all have variable F values. How would the 14-35mm and 35-100mm lenses with the fixed F2 value fit in?. I would assume they would be better in lower light. Would these lenses make senes to have or would I be duplicating the capabilities of the first three with the variable F value?
I'd start with the 12-60 and the 50-200 for general purposes. They are equivalent to upper middle (or middle upper) quality lens from Canikon. The 35-100 and 14-35 are equivalent to upper-upper-upper quality lens from Canikon and their price reflects it. I don't think you would see much difference in 8x10s between any of these lens, so it would be pointless to buy a $3000 lens for this purpose.
-
The 7-14 / 12-60 / 50-200 combo is already pretty heavy (especially the 50-200). The 14-35 & 35-100 are VERY heavy. I would think very carefully about those if you plan on walking any great distance with them.