Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Colour Management => Topic started by: steveg71 on August 21, 2010, 02:59:39 pm
-
Greetings
Thank you for having me as a member here.
I have a new NEC 3090 monitor that I am calibrating with Spectraview II with the NEC branded X-Rite puck. I am calibrating to:
d65 (tried 6,500k, too -- results are about the same)
gamma: 2.2
Intensity: 140
Contrast Ratio: Monitor Default
Auto Luminance: On (in spectraview preferences)
ColorComp: On (in spectraview preference, middle settings)
Attached is a screengrab of the results, which I have done a few times. At .50, does the black level seem high? I've been reading around the web, and .30 seems more common when working at 140.0 cd. Contrast ratio also seems a bit low. Would be curious to hear thoughts on this from others (as I am still within my return/exchange window), and perhaps your calibration results.
Would you consider .50 high? I used to calibrate my Apple to 120 cd/m2, but NEC seems to suggest using 140. I might try 120 to see what black level I get, but I have read that under 140, the luminance is no longer reduced via the backlight, but instead "artificially" via image control.
Anyhow, I'd be curious to hear from others, especially others who are calibrating to 140 and what your black levels are, on this model monitor or other NEC models, like the 26.
Cheers
Attached is a screengrab of my settings and results
(http://i33.tinypic.com/aer7d2.jpg)
-
Hmm, I just tried calibrating to 120.
My black level actually went up, to .54.
Contrast ratio to 222:1 (not surprised there)
Not understanding why the black level isn't dropping though. Hmm
-
Hmm, I just tried calibrating to 120.
My black level actually went up, to .54.
Contrast ratio to 222:1 (not surprised there)
Sounds right as 120 divided by .54 equals 222 (the contrast ratio). The luminance and black level affect the contrast of course. Decide what luminance values produces the best visual match to the viewing booth, then set the contrast ratio to match more closely the ratio of the print, let the black level fall where it does.
-
Hmm, I just tried calibrating to 120.
My black level actually went up, to .54.
Contrast ratio to 222:1 (not surprised there)
Not understanding why the black level isn't dropping though. Hmm
hmm that's weird, 222:1 is insanely low unless you are purposefully telling it to raise the BP to reduce CR for final print proofing