Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: MattBeardsley on August 20, 2010, 07:35:30 pm
-
Hello LL,
I just finished part two of my blog discussion of the H3DII-31. It was an editorial-style location shoot and a very interesting experience. I found it to be a very capable camera, even for the active style portraits I shoot. Compared to the Nikon D3 I've been using for 2 or 3 years, the Hassy has certain AF and ISO limitations, but beyond that, it's a joy to use... and the files are killer! Thanks for taking a look, comments?
Have a nice weekend!
Matt
http://mattbeardsleyblog.com/2010/08/20/on-location-with-the-hasselblad-h3dii-31/
-
MFD is what it is, a great file maker, but way behind the times otherwise...
I want two camera systems... a 1Ds Mark III setup like we have today and then my dream tripod camera... an Alpa TC with a LiveView capable back. I will have all I need when that back gets made...
-
Compared to 35mm cameras, there are certainly challenges to shooting digital 645, but I don't think they're so far behind anymore. My experience with the H3DII-31, which is a generation old now, was very positive. I'm really impressed with a few novel advances that Hasselblad has made, like lens correction, tethered shooting, and they're take on "custom menu banks".
It's a pretty cool camera system I would hesitate to call "behind the times"
MFD is what it is, a great file maker, but way behind the times otherwise...
I want two camera systems... a 1Ds Mark III setup like we have today and then my dream tripod camera... an Alpa TC with a LiveView capable back. I will have all I need when that back gets made...
-
I think they looked nice! What lenses where used?
-
I would certainly second Matt's findings!
After having a second view on the ISO 800 files (H4D50) I would upgrade them from no go to usable (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=45511.0)
-
Thanks Matt.
A great and well rounded report.
-
MFD is what it is, a great file maker, but way behind the times otherwise...
A Hasselblad 60 Mpx digiback on a Sinar P3 with Apo-Digitars might look pre-historic to some on this site, but I think you would need 10 * 8 film to produce better single-shot.
...and the noticeable mirror shake happens after the exposure, so it causes ¿no? camera shake in the image. (The mirror moves up before the exposure, but that movements is damped, compensated or sorted)
-
I think they looked nice! What lenses where used?
Thanks... I used 2 Hasselblad lenses, the 28mm f4 and the standard 80mm f2.8, both are awesome. I found it a bit easier to get sharp images with the 80mm, but was really impressed with the 28mm's lack of distortion (especially after running the automatic lens correction in Phocus). I was skeptical of Hasselblad's recent turn to all-proprietary backs and lenses, but the system is so well integrated, it's hard to argue with. I'm not sure, but I think I remember the Hasselblad rep saying the lenses, except for their central shutters, were designed by Fuji and assembled in Japan.
Any thoughts on the HCD line?
-
I enjoyed both reports. Thank you!
I am shooting a Hasselblad H1 with a Phase One P30+ digital back. I am thinking about going H3DII-31 or H4d-40.
-
Surely technology moves on and becomes more and more advanced ,but doesn't that also come at a price too? I don't necessarily mean the price tag of the product , but more the experience and the approach to photography in general. In the old days, and we are talking about not more then 10 - 15 years ago before digital became mainstream; photography was something special and not as widely spread as it is nowadays. Those where the times when magic happened, and darkrooms were the holly grail of the photographer. Today, everybody can call themselves a photographer, and equipped with a digital SLR or point and shoot one finds most of them lurking around and snapping away. The reason I moved up to digital medium format was because of the higher quality files one would get, but also because of the magic which keeps happening when using those cameras. It's a more familiar pace to shoot , taking your time , thinking about the composition, and Instead of letting the camera deal with difficult exposure etc. the Photographer uses His/Her skill to create the image.
The Hasselblad H3D31 was my first move into medium format digital, and It was a pleasure to use and handle . The files were incredible and one could see for once that film and digital medium format are equal in feel and look.
I enjoyed your Post and totally understand why you wanted to share your shooting experience with the forum .
MFD is what it is, a great file maker, but way behind the times otherwise...
I want two camera systems... a 1Ds Mark III setup like we have today and then my dream tripod camera... an Alpa TC with a LiveView capable back. I will have all I need when that back gets made...