Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: finepixpro on August 16, 2010, 03:13:10 am
-
This is the first part of a short photo essay on working class folks in HK. Feedback is welcome. Thank you.
http://hk.myblog.yahoo.com/finepixpro/article?mid=209
-
I like the overall work, especially the fortune teller. Never heard of Neo imaging, will have to look it up. Images are crisp and engaging. I take it the LX3 takes pano-style format images.
JMR
-
Thanks for your comment.
Neo imaging is a post-processing freeware written by a mainland Chinese programmer. It offers a good number of quick fixes which is ideal for online photo viewing or a small print. It runs much, much faster on my antique computers than GIMP or Photoshop. Neo imaging is quite popular among Chinese-speaking amateurs in the region. Regrettably this freeware is not available in English.
I like shooting LX3 in 16:9 format. It has a native 4:3 sensor but having used its two predecessors extensively for years (both are 16:9 natively) I am at home with this format.
-
Nice slice-of-life images! And I also like the 16:9 format, especially as video becomes more part of photography.
I found the last description of "long you" photographers interesting. This is also very common in Germany (Photokina) and in the U.S. (PMA, PPE, etc.). And I'm sure everywhere else where there are photo tradeshows and gatherings. I just didn't know it had a name!
H
-
Thanks for the feedback. "Long you" is short for saloon fan (photographer) in Chinese, a term widely used by the local media to mock those trigger-happy (and possibly perverted) males who would only photograph young babes and nothing else. HK media and the teens are very good at "inventing" funny and humiliating vocabulary.
-
Part 2 of the series is now available. Your feedback is welcome. Thank you.
http://hk.myblog.yahoo.com/finepixpro/article?mid=238
-
Here is part 3. Thank you.
http://hk.myblog.yahoo.com/finepixpro/article?mid=247
-
I really like your style and coverage of the street scenes. Perhaps it is the perspective you have chosen in most cases. The images appear to have a sense of closeness with the subject matter, like a mirror that looks back at you. Excellent work in my opinion.
JMR
-
Thanks for the kind words, John. My photos are amateurish but unlike many amateurs and even some pros I shoot with passion, humbleness and respect.
One of the reasons I like using digital p&s cameras is they allow me to photo at lower angle (via LCD screen) so I do not have to "look down" on my subjects (from eye level) and my photos reflect this. My subjects are also less objectionable to small cameras and some of them do not even notice these little machines. A nod, a smile and a short conversation would often do some magic, too.
-
Pix, I really like your work. I'm not sure what you mean about it being amateurish. A "professional" is someone who makes money shooting photographs. The term doesn't necessarily imply good work. An "amateur" is someone who makes photographs because he loves making photographs. A lot of amateurs are better photographers than a lot of professionals.
You're right about the advantages of a small camera on the street. I've grown to love my E-P1, especially now that I've rigged it with the full-frame equivalent of a 50mm lens and an old Leica 50mm auxiliary viewfinder. It's almost like my old M4, which I sold years ago. The image quality isn't as good, but for street work that's not the primary consideration.
My favorite among your posted work is the last one in part 2 -- the zookeeper with a beer. It strikes me as the best composition in the series. Reminds me of the zoo picture by Garry Winogrand where the wolf in his cage is stalking the disinterested observers.
-
Thanks a lot for the feedback, RSL.
I consider my photos amateurish not because I am an amateur, but because they do not (ie me) reach a standard which I consider stunning or at least memorable. These younger photographers below take photos that really impress me. I am afraid I can never match their calibers.
http://imagery.gettyimages.com/getty_images_grants/recipients.aspx?date=9-2010&grant=editorial
I work six full, tiring days per week (a norm with construction/ engineering guys in HK, I am a construction supervisor) and I only bother to carry a small DC with me. The lightest DSLR with a plastic kit lens are simply too heavy to bear on these 6 days. I always carry a compact DC (or a film compact in the old days) which is readily accessible and operation-able within seconds. I prefer quick response, accessibility and portability to image quality.
I could not have taken the zoo-keeper photo you mentioned without a handy compact. The full action unfolded in front of me within a minute (I walked past the gentleman and rushed back to him a few seconds later once I figured out what was going on).
Thank you again for visiting my blog.
-
I really like your work a lot. You have a good eye and your subjects are fascinating. I completely sympathize with your long work hours and how difficult it is to squeeze in some shooting time. Despite the other demands on your time you have managed to put together a strong body of work. Please, keep shooting.
-
Terrific series of photos! You have a very good eye, please show us more.
-
enjoyed looking through the photographs, you have caught a disappearing world. It is important to do this as in just a few years we'll have the chance to look back and see the changes that have happened. Hong Kong is one of my favourite places to visit and photograph, excellent keep posting them, it a pleasure to see the images.
-
Thank you for the encouragement, Peter, tokengirl, popnfresh and others. I think I have a good eye but I simply don't have the time.
May I draw your attention to the two photos I took today? I took the first one on my long way back home on a train (1.5 hour per way each day, 6 days a week). And I shot the second in a library before going home for dinner (no colleague came to work today so I left in late afternoon).
http://hk.myblog.yahoo.com/finepixpro/article?mid=260
Thank you.
-
Part 4 is now available. Thank you very much.
http://hk.myblog.yahoo.com/finepixpro/article?mid=275
-
The 5th installment is now available. Feedback is welcome. Thank you.
http://hk.myblog.yahoo.com/finepixpro/article?mid=386
You are also invited to take a look at these few photos on pets in "One country, two systems".
http://hk.myblog.yahoo.com/finepixpro/article?mid=374
-
I like it...Good going! Thanks for sharing your slice of life/world! I like the 16:9 format...need to check out that new image processing app though...